Leica Canon rangefinder repair suggestions?

SParis

Rookie
Name
Scott Paris
I think I did a proper search for previous threads on this topic. I was surprised not to find any. Forgive me if I did it wrong.
Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions about a repair person who is good with the later Canon rangefinders? I'm talking about the Canon P, VI-L, L-1 vintage, not the earlier Barnack-like ones.
I know about Dag, and Sherry, and Youxin. I've used all 3, and they're excellent, but they're all booked up for months.
I'm looking for a perhaps less famous person with expertise in older rangefinders.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for your responses.
I just had Youxin do a Canon P and a Leica MD, and it took a long time. He explained that he was buried in work, and I never asked him to rush it. (It's not like I need the MD to shoot a wedding.)
To be completely clear, I'm not criticizing Youxin in any way; just looking for options.

Has anyone ever used CameraQuest's repair service?
Has anyone ever actually had a camera repaired by Gus Lazzari? I've looked at his website over the last 5 years or more, and he seems to be permanently "temporarily" not accepting new work.
KEH wants a flat $330 for any repair on any rangefinder (more than DAG) so they're out of the running.
Just learned about Cameraworks-UK, and they look good for Leica, but not for Canon.

My current problem is a Canon 7. Shutter speeds are right on, film advance is smooth, viewfinder is clear. Overall it feels like it's had a CLA recently. BUT, the rangefinder is just wrong. It seems to be working normally, rangefinder patch moves smoothly, with no play, but when it says it's focused on something that's 30 feet away, the lens says it's at 5.5 feet. This happens with several known-good lenses.

Whenever I buy one of these 50-year-old cameras, I pretty much assume it will need service, regardless of what the seller says, and I'm usually right. It would just be nice to have more than two options.

Thanks for your responses.

My current problem is a Canon 7. Shutter speeds are right on, film advance is smooth, viewfinder is clear. Overall it feels like it's had a CLA recently. BUT, the rangefinder is just wrong. It seems to be working normally, rangefinder patch moves smoothly, with no play, but when it says it's focused on something that's 30 feet away, the lens says it's at 5.5 feet. This happens with several known-good lenses.

Between KEH and Cameraquest, I would recommend Cameraquest. Mr. Gandy had arranged CLA on a Contax IIA for me. The work is done impressively good and turn around is as advertised.

Mr. Ye had done many work for me as well. He is a good man for regular service. But he splits work with his wife. Sometimes he could be too busy and failed to check it thoroughly himself. If you paid him already, I suggest you first contact him and give him a chance to work it right for you.

Back