Canon Showcase Canon RF 100-500mm Lens Showcase

885DDA86-9442-463E-85B2-689A4279C194.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm new here. Lens Showcase implies an open thread, but Chris seems to be the only one posting images. This lens lives on my R5, so I've got plenty of examples if it's OK.
Yep, any showcase thread just means use what the OP says. Great way to get real-life user reviews on some of this gear. Lack of participants just means a lack of broad ownership. :D

Great shots, @KDReno !
Thanks. I wanted to give a sense of the versatility of the lens. The albatross was taken from a boat during a pelagic trip out of Dutch Harbor, AK. Moving around the boat would have more difficult with a Big White prime, and I doubt my picture would have been any better. I might have done a little better on the Nuthatch with a 600/4, but that shot was taken at the end of a three hour walk in the mountains. I would have been pretty tired from hauling it around.

A 100/2.8 macro might be better for bugs, if you can get close. But the long working distance is very nice to have. Just a fantastic lens for butterflies, dragonflies, etc.

Thanks. I wanted to give a sense of the versatility of the lens. The albatross was taken from a boat during a pelagic trip out of Dutch Harbor, AK. Moving around the boat would have more difficult with a Big White prime, and I doubt my picture would have been any better. I might have done a little better on the Nuthatch with a 600/4, but that shot was taken at the end of a three hour walk in the mountains. I would have been pretty tired from hauling it around.

A 100/2.8 macro might be better for bugs, if you can get close. But the long working distance is very nice to have. Just a fantastic lens for butterflies, dragonflies, etc.
Agree. I’ve used it on dragonflies with surprising success.
CFD3B478-D18F-405D-A16C-DF79E61CE008.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm new here. Lens Showcase implies an open thread, but Chris seems to be the only one posting images. This lens lives on my R5, so I've got plenty of examples if it's OK.

Yep, any showcase thread just means use what the OP says. Great way to get real-life user reviews on some of this gear. Lack of participants just means a lack of broad ownership. :D
A great question and answer combo! 😎

Yep, the 'Showcase' threads are very much specific to the gear listed in the thread title so some threads might see very little activity while others will be extremely active. They serve as a great way of seeing the capabilities of the gear being talked about versus the various 'gallery' threads that are gear agnostic.

Agree. I’ve used it on dragonflies with surprising success.
View attachment 418881
Nice one. I'd suggest stopping down bit when you get close. Depth of field gets very thin with 500mm at 4-5 ft. A little different from shooting birds or mammals, where I'm often wishing I had a faster aperture. In Summer I keep one of my C modes set to f/11and different AF settings for times I come across interesting insects while out birding.

Nice one. I'd suggest stopping down bit when you get close. Depth of field gets very thin with 500mm at 4-5 ft. A little different from shooting birds or mammals, where I'm often wishing I had a faster aperture. In Summer I keep one of my C modes set to f/11and different AF settings for times I come across interesting insects while out birding.
Thanks Ken. I usually do stop down for things like this when I can, but this was a quick grab in poor light, my auto ISO had already hit its limit, and I wasn’t lowering my shutter speed any further. This is also why we also don’t offer unsolicited opinions here, unless specifically asked for; I know what I’m doing and wouldn’t change it if I had another opportunity in the same situation. Just a heads up, as some folks will roast you here for doing so. Look for posts or threads that specifically welcome comments and critique, and your expertise will be more than welcome.

Thanks Ken. I usually do stop down for things like this when I can, but this was a quick grab in poor light, my auto ISO had already hit its limit, and I wasn’t lowering my shutter speed any further. This is also why we also don’t offer unsolicited opinions here, unless specifically asked for; I know what I’m doing and wouldn’t change it if I had another opportunity in the same situation. Just a heads up, as some folks will roast you here for doing so. Look for posts or threads that specifically welcome comments and critique, and your expertise will be more than welcome.
My apologies. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

Back