Canon Showcase Canon RF 50mm f/1.2

MountainMan79

😎💩➡️📸
Name
Chris
Let’s get another one going for this statement piece of a lens. Just arrived today, so much more to come!
12F294C1-C8F7-4721-9FE0-022D46902914.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had to remove the filter, as something I’ve never experienced occurred while testing out sunstars (which are gorgeous on this lens). I had a large rainbow circle appear in all the shots. This is also one of Hoya’s best filters and has been my go to filter for years at this point. Never had anything like it happen. Oh well. Just going to have to be very careful!

Nacho approved. First shot wide open
6708CF4B-642C-46D9-8D57-26C1A47286E4.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Let’s get another one going for this statement piece of a lens. Just arrived today, so much more to come!
View attachment 362927

I had to remove the filter, as something I’ve never experienced occurred while testing out sunstars (which are gorgeous on this lens). I had a large rainbow circle appear in all the shots. This is also one of Hoya’s best filters and has been my go to filter for years at this point. Never had anything like it happen. Oh well. Just going to have to be very careful!

Nacho approved. First shot wide openView attachment 362928.
That's really quite strange about the filter, Chris. Congrats on the new kit.

Like you, I've mainly used Hoya HMC grade filters and above, and never seen any kind of problem.

I expected that I might see some sort of problem with my 12-100, but nothing. More lately with my 8-25, but again, nothing. Both lenses have extreme FL ranges, which I thought could cause problems, but nothing.

Let us know if you figure out what's causing that weird effect please.

That's really quite strange about the filter, Chris. Congrats on the new kit.

Like you, I've mainly used Hoya HMC grade filters and above, and never seen any kind of problem.

I expected that I might see some sort of problem with my 12-100, but nothing. More lately with my 8-25, but again, nothing. Both lenses have extreme FL ranges, which I thought could cause problems, but nothing.

Let us know if you figure out what's causing that weird effect please.
Yeah, I don’t know why, only that it does. Unlike most lenses, where the filter is pretty close to the front glass on the lens , and it remains a fixed distance, this lens has a front element that moves forward and backwards as it focuses, and in some positions can be quite recessed from the filter. It’s just a guess as to maybe why filters act weird on this lens, but not sure how to confirm that without talking to other owners.

Yeah, I don’t know why, only that it does. Unlike most lenses, where the filter is pretty close to the front glass on the lens , and it remains a fixed distance, this lens has a front element that moves forward and backwards as it focuses, and in some positions can be quite recessed from the filter. It’s just a guess as to maybe why filters act weird on this lens, but not sure how to confirm that without talking to other owners.
I would put money on that being the case, mate. Good thinking.
I know of no other lens that behaves that way.

I would put money on that being the case, mate. Good thinking.
I know of no other lens that behaves that way.
I feel like I’ve seen some macro lenses that behave like this, and hell, maybe that’s part of the reason this one can close focus as well as it does. Hopefully it doesn’t always cause aberrations while using any sort of filter in strong light, as while shooting outdoors during the day at 1.2 it may necessitate an ND filter.

Looks like a nice bit of kit (y)

I find it interesting that the latest range of mirror less lens, Canon, Nikon etc seem huge when compared to their older AF and non AF lens.
Lighter, no doubt but you still need a fair size bag to carry the kit around.
Not sure if it’s lighter than it predecessors; this thing is over 2 pounds /965ish grams, and weighs more than the camera!

Back