Canon RF and 24-105 lens for $999

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve

The RF is not the ideal FF camera, but dang, the body and the lens for $999. The lens is supposedly pretty competent (if slow) as well.

I appreciate Canon's pragmatism. The new Nikon Z5 is clearly a better camera so they need to be really aggressive with price. It's not that long ago that I would have been typing a credit card number into the B&H website myself.

Is there something wrong with me that I just find everything that Canon makes unattractive? I mean, not visually, but from a function and ecosystem standpoint ? It’s the same feeling I get from Panasonic cameras, too

Maybe I’ve been Nikon for too long. But I really like Fuji and Olympus as well.

There is nothing in that RP&24-105 package that seems appealing to me.

Am I getting old? Curmudgeonly? Being too critical or narrow minded?

Possibly some, all and others I have not listed.

Is there something wrong with me that I just find everything that Canon makes unattractive? I mean, not visually, but from a function and ecosystem standpoint ? It’s the same feeling I get from Panasonic cameras, too

Maybe I’ve been Nikon for too long. But I really like Fuji and Olympus as well.

There is nothing in that RP&24-105 package that seems appealing to me.

Am I getting old? Curmudgeonly? Being too critical or narrow minded?

Possibly some, all and others I have not listed.
You are not alone. I’ve always thought Canon EOS series were the worst of the melted plastic school of SLR/DSLR design. I actually think the mirrorless models are a step up. Just not a big step.

That price should make some Canon shooters happy.
It's small and light with decent AF. Adapted EF lenses work very well.

No regrets, it was a smooth system dump with a minimal cost.
And the system is now out of my system.

I did love the programmable control ring on the RF 35.

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with me that I just find everything that Canon makes unattractive? I mean, not visually, but from a function and ecosystem standpoint ?
In terms of the bodies, probably. But not the lenses, not the general rendering and not the haptics - they’re fine and its what makes me constantly consider Canon camera bodies, be it DSLR or mirrorless. Many is the time I’ve let Iooked at some of those red ring lenses And what they can do and thought to myself “I wish Nikon did that”.

In terms of the bodies, probably
Agreed, to a part. Canon's EF lens catalog is just too good. Large and compact options for most common focal lengths. The world's first autofocusing f/1.0 lens. Ultrafast 85's.

And that's just the EF lenses -- the RF catalog had a rocket launch of a start with the 28-70 f/2 zoom and all sorts of goodies.

The DSLR bodies are a prime reason why I was so much drawn into Fuji's retro styling back in the day. Not very sexy. And the Canon cameras in general tended to do more poorly than Nikons in high-ISO but that's changed since then, somewhat.

Back