Canon S110 and G15 Now In Stock at B&H. Does Anyone Care?

Amin

Hall of Famer
Now in stock at B&H:

Canon Powershot S110

Canon Powershot G15

Canon Powershot SX50 HS

The S110 will be a chart-topping success, like the S100, S95, and S90 before it. It is arguably the only camera which is substantially smaller than the RX100 while offering the kind of image quality we've come to expect from much larger high end compacts. Meanwhile, the G15 is the latest in a longstanding, proud line of full-featured, small sensor serious compacts.

These new cameras refine Canon's winning formulas, formulas which have dominated the serious compact camera market for many years. At the same time, other recent cameras like the Sony RX100, Canon G1X, and Sigma DP2M are redefining what we think of as possible with fixed-lens compacts. A year ago, I couldn't have imagined myself asking this question, but now it seems appropriate: Is anyone here excited about the new Canons?

To be honest I think the S110 is gonna have a hard time. The series never really excited me, but they always had their place in the serious compacts landscape. With the RX100 so much more capable in only a slightly larger package, the Canon seems redundant.

The G15 - I would seriously consider it, if it had a sweep panorama mode. For me, the G15 is probably the perfect size - not too thick (G12 was thicker than I liked), but chunky enough to handle easily, with plenty of manual controls. Also its long (for this sensor size) and fast zoom makes it very interesting as an all-round travel camera. But since I'm also a bit of a wide angle junkie, I'd require at least a sweep panorama mode to increase the FOV. Computer/software-based panoramas don't interest me since they're not really practical when you're away from the computer that has the software (think internet cafes).

SX50 is simply too large for me, but if the IQ holds up I guess plenty of people are attracted to 50x zoom.

To be honest I think the S110 is gonna have a hard time. The series never really excited me, but they always had their place in the serious compacts landscape. With the RX100 so much more capable in only a slightly larger package, the Canon seems redundant.

I don't know how many of us will buy them, but I'm sure they'll sell oodles for 3 reasons: 1) It's a Canon; 2) It's much less expensive than RX100; 3) Many people will consider the size difference vs RX100 to be more than slight.

I'm usually not one for megazooms, but the 50X zoom in the SX50 sounds like fun. 24mm to 1200mm equivalent and RAW gets my attention.

They are not checking off my boxes.

But speaking of megazooms. Is anyone going to make one with that Sony 1 inch sensor? Even if it's 20-24x instead of 50x to keep the size manageable (even 16x would be good) I'd rather have that. Small sensor cams have made great leaps in the last 2 years, but I'm hooked on IQ. I don't much care for smeary images or the look of noise on smaller sensors.

I went the G route with Canon from my very first digital - the venerable G2 - through G6, G7, G9 and, finally, G10. And I believe that will be the end of the line for me, although I toyed with the idea of getting a G12 primarily for the articulating screen. But there are so many more - and better IMHO - choices out there now.

The laurels upon which Canon appears to be resting are wearing thin.....

The laurels upon which Canon appears to be resting are wearing thin.....
I agree. And Amin is right, they will sell because they are Canon. Which puzzles me because I have never regarded Canon as being best. That is, its cameras have been good, even stellar in some ways, but not all of them and not all the time, and they have always had competition in the IQ stakes from many quarters. But nobody does marketing in the camera arena like Canon. And that's what will sell them, not their intrinsic value (which I have serious doubts about, anyway)

I had the Canon S95 (which I donated to my daughter when she traveled to Thailand, got stolen there!), then bought the S100 which ended up with a lens issue. Canon repaired the lens and it worked fine. Liked the GPS feature on the S100 but it would kill the battery quickly if you left it on.
Sold that and got the RX100. Don't think I will be going back to Canon. I like the Sony so much, that I am considering picking up a NEX to try.

My first encounter with Canon's higher end compacts was with the G2 owned by my cousin. That led to me getting a S45, then the S70, G7, G10 and S90. But I've since moved on to more exotic compacts like the Ricoh GRD III, Fuji X10 etc. The new G15 looks exactly like the kind of camera I would have loved in the G7/G10 days, but in today's market there are so many alternatives with bigger and better specs.

They will sell because they are from Canon, though. Meanwhile, we will be enjoying next-gen tech in the less mainstream brands.

From my perpective I've never bought into those smaller compacts, I by the way would have prefered that the rx100 be a bit larger and with less compromises but I am very happy with it nevertheless. I believe there will still be success in canon sales for the G series, maybe less for the S serie because it resembles so much de RX for a quite steep price in comparison. For the superzooms I have no opinion because I've never had one and know nobody who has either, but that market is still very solid with the current sensors because competition seems quite leveled for now.

Nvertheless, I'm sure that camera makers will have to be very agressive in the next following years. We will se improvement in flexible sensor designs that will further reduce lens sizes, exciting years are coming.

Normal people not into spending heaps on cameras will always buy canon for the name and to be honest they are better than many brands for compacts and such.

People here on this forum might not because they know what the higher end cameras can do and will pay the money for them.

I'm interested in the superzoom sx50 for what you get they are impressive although the IQ isn't that of the larger sensor cameras, what other camera could be as versatile?

Each to their own but they will always sell, it's why they are still in business.

It's an interesting approach - X100 plus megazooms. I often do something similar, bringing a prime plus the 14-150 out with my E-M5. Mine is a paltry 10.7X though, compared to 26X, 40X, and 50X for the XS1, SX40HS, and SX50HX.

I can see that as my ultimate kit if a superzoom of better quality comes around. I don't enjoy changing or collecting lenses. And I think as my photography matures, I seem to be gravitating towards shooting mainly with a "normal" focal length.

If I sold off my m43 kit, it could make buying that RX1 a reality financially. And then I'd just need to dig through the couch cushions to afford the superzoom. I'm just not quite mentally ready to take the step down in IQ. I need to think on it more.

I admit I would like to play around with the SX50. 24-1200 equivalent? That's just wild. You could get vertigo just looking through the viewfinder while zooming.

I agree. And Amin is right, they will sell because they are Canon. Which puzzles me because I have never regarded Canon as being best. That is, its cameras have been good, even stellar in some ways, but not all of them and not all the time, and they have always had competition in the IQ stakes from many quarters. But nobody does marketing in the camera arena like Canon. And that's what will sell them, not their intrinsic value (which I have serious doubts about, anyway)

I think Canons sell a lot because of brand recognition and the McDonalds effect. McDonalds sells a lot of burgers not because they are great (or even good) but they are consistent, No matter which one you go to a Big Mac always tastes like a Big Mac. I think consistency is an attractive quality in a product. I don't mean it as an knock either, the same can be said of Honda, Toyota, Nikon, Apple, etc. I think that quality of consistent experience helps Canon sell tons of cameras.

I don't mean it as an knock either, the same can be said of Honda, Toyota, Nikon, Apple, etc. I think that quality of consistent experience helps Canon sell tons of cameras.

Very well said .. consitency and experience counts. G15 tells a big story just by the large number against its model. It tells Canon long experience of building Enthusiast level camera. It tells you will get the same good experience (nevermind if not the best) of handeling it with complete external control and a quality lens.

But then on the fair side its quite good this time with what its offering with a quite flexible 5x lens range and f/1.8 brightness (more flexible than kit lenses), decent sensor size, fast handeling and same CONSISTENT canon G-Series experience.

After enjoying LX5, XZ-1 and (not so much) X10; I am seriously considering Canon G this time.

Back