Canon Showcase Canon S90/S95 images - Show yours

I notice that on the S90 there is a slight hand grip; however Canon seems to have done away with that on the S95 am I correct?

The S95 unfortunately misses any hand grip and so does the S90. However, although the form of both cameras is equal, the S95 is easier to hold because of its different surface.

The S95 unfortunately misses any hand grip and so does the S90. However, although the form of both cameras is equal, the S95 is easier to hold because of its different surface.

I think that Canon have used a different "paint" to make it easier to hold - a paint used on the Canon DSLRs

I do not have any problems with the grip - but I have yet to use it in cold weather - maybe a piece of some kind of tape would help if grip problems are encountered

I think the thing that people talked about being on the S90 and missing from the S95 was the thumb grip on the back. Neither one of them has any sort of grip on the front but, as noted, the S95 has a grippier surface. There is a very popular aftermarket grip for the S90 that attached with very sturdy adhesive tape and seems like it was an integral part of the camera design. I think the guy who designed and manufactured it (Richard Franiac) is developing one for the S95 as well. Before I got an S90, I'd read all of the horror stories about holding the camera without the grip, so I ordered the grip at the same time. I used the camera without problem for a week or two before the grip arrived and never had any problem with it at all. Since I had the grip, I installed it and its a bit of an improvement, but far from necessary. And with the S95's tackier surface, probably even farther from necessary now.

-Ray

OK, here are a couple from my walk around London - will post a couple in another thread as well, as I have technical questions to ask, but for now..

Canary Wharf Station

img0092f.jpg

Borough Market

img0127k.jpg

img0129mx.jpg

St Pauls Cathedral Gardens

img0114ma.jpg

Thank you BillN
There were a few other people out and about on Sat with some very impressive kit, comparing images afterwards, it is amazing how different the same shot can look when taken with 'pro cameras' compared to my little S95. Based on some of the pictures, I can see that it is much more about having the eye for a photo, rather than the kit, though that does help. I will post some of the 'failed shots' I took in another thread so that people can offer advice and commiserate/laugh:)

Thank you for your kind words though, fist photo's I have ever put online, so you made me smile on a Mon morning which is no mean thing..

Martin, it's true different cameras do have the ability to do different things - whether it's that they have a much larger sensor and thus can give you more and finer details, a greater control over depth of field, dynamic range, etc., but you hit the old proverbial nail on the head where you wrote:
Based on some of the pictures, I can see that it is much more about having the eye for a photo, rather than the kit, though that does help.

Keep on doing what you're doing!! You are well on your way. It takes time to learn what any camera can do, how to use it and how to achieve your own personal vision or view of the world around you. Give each of us the same camera, set us loose in the same place and we'd all come back with completely different photographs. To me, that creativity and personal view is what I enjoy the most.

No ghosties in this one!! :D

The Town Hall is right in the heart of Brighton which is a large sea side town that is very famous here in the UK. The building is tall hence the portrait and technique was to give it a light, high key look but mono colour which is sepia. The sky was totally blown out which is why i went for a bright look. That chap was a bit of a bonus as i like his expression.

Appreciate it, Andy! Yes, that chap's expression was a real bonus, I'd say. Your choice of sepia was perfect and I love the way it emphasizes the two people across the street in front. Very nicely done and a great way to use the blown out sky to your advantage!

Back