Canon Showcase Canon S90/S95 images - Show yours

I just wish you didn't end up with such large-sized image files when you get back to your library. I guess that is just something you have to expect when using the Nik stuff.
I think its common to external editors, Topaz does it too. They create TIFF files because its the one file type I guess anything can work with and it retains a lot of information. What I do is work on the image in the external editor, save it back to my library, and then export it to a full size, high quality jpeg. Then I delete the huge TIFF file and put the jpeg back in its place. Takes up about one tenth the space. This wouldn't make sense with a non-destructive editor like Aperture or Lightroom, but since you can't do much with those Nik created files once you've close the Nik editor, no harm in trashing the huge file and just saving it in a more economical format. I seriously thought about ditching all of the external editors until I'd worked that out. I'll import a RAW file into Aperture and it'll take up about 11-12 mb and I can create as many Aperture versions and edits as I want without taking up any additional space (since all the program is saving for each is the settings - not the whole image). Once I go to an external editor and it creates a TIFF, I'm looking at a 60-70 mb file! But once I save it as a jpeg and replace the TIFF with the jpeg, its down to about 5-7mb. Still another file beyond the original RAW file, but much more manageable.

-Ray

5207037474_cfc4580692_b.jpg

5207037216_422963522e_z.jpg

Ok, finally a few images from me, they are far from great, but these are the first small steps on a major journey. We have had alot of snow, so I walked to our local park and thought Id take few shots..
Initially I was using either Av or Tv, but the shots just weren't coming out right, too flat, dull, blue or gray, I tried playing around with the WB, but wasn't happy, so I cheated and switched to scene mode and carried on using that :(
As you can see, it was very white
img0451ik.jpg

A theme did seem to develop as I went on. As it was so white, I found I was attracted to any splash of colour against the overwhelmingly white background
decsnow015.jpg

decsnow021.jpg

I liked the straight branch with the leaves hanging off it..

decsnow022.jpg

From another angle..
decsnow024.jpg

I love this one, because it is my first ever DoF shot that worked :D:D

decsnow034.jpg

Just because I like it, here is another ;)

decsnow040.jpg

An example where trying to do something different didn't quite work. I was trying to take something mundane (snow on a fence) and hoping that if I tried a different angle (from low down) it might make it a bit more interesting..

decsnow043.jpg

Colour contrast again now - this was the theme for the day Im afraid..

decsnow050.jpg

decsnow051.jpg

decsnow055.jpg

decsnow061.jpg

Feel free to comment or offer advice, I have yet to find my shooting style and composition is a black art to me at the moment, but that is why it is good to post, it means that I am taking pictures and trying things, and Im gaining experience.
Ultimately it was a frustrating hour or so, the views I saw were beautiful, but the images I had in my head and the ones in the camera just didn't match, but that's part of the fun. Im still very guilty of trying to over-engineer shots at the moment, but that seems to be me for the moment, once I take more shots Im sure I will settle down..

Hi Martin. I like the berry shots. The contrast in colours works well.

Shooting snow is bit tricky - one of the reasons I use RAW is that I can fix the ones I mess up afterwards.

The blue look on some images is down to the WB but the dull, flat, grey look is down to exposure. Your camera's metering system works on the basis that there is a range of tones present in any image and looks for an average tone to work from. When you shoot in snow the range tends to be bright, brighter and very bright so your camera considers brighter to be average and exposes accordingly. The result is that your images end up underexposed. You can either adjust them in PP or turn up your exposure compensation in camera. +1 is a good starting point but in some cases I have turned it up nearly 2 stops. I never bother with WB adjustments in camera - snow under cloud will be different from snow under blue skies. I save this for PP.

There's a nice short article on how to photograph snow here.

good advice from olli - snow is difficult and you need to experiment - lots of "one colour" for a start never mind the exposure compensation needed

also a little farer back (more of a landscape view) or a little nearer to capture more detail when taking subjects with detail may help especially with P & S cams

don't try to be Picasso or Leonardo di Vinci in the creative department - just take lots of images and experiment to start with and see and know what the camera can do, (versus what you think you have (it) have/has done) - digital is cheap and you can do a lot with computer software

Good luck and keep at it

Penny, I particularly like your second shot - the color is great and I really like the way you've framed those frozen flowers.

Vidar, I now see it's not you and the E-P1 - it's you, your eye and your way of seeing that beautiful land you live in. Stunning shot.

OK, Vidar. You and Peter ought to consider collaborating on a book, be it digital or not. You can each show the opposite ends (almost) of the globe with regards to water... Maybe we should enlarge our scope and get Deirdre to add in some Hawaii shots, and some of our UK pals to add theirs...and the more I think of it we can cover quite a bit of water with all of our members.

In all seriousness, this pristine beauty is something I hope I can experience first hand one day. Until then, I am extremely grateful for your sharing your view with us. I wonder if you realize how breathtakingly beautiful this is? It makes me feel both insignificant and awestruck.

Bordeaux Trams - they were on strike, (la grève), today, (not sure where these two came from), along with the Buses etc.

The French Government has increased their retirement age, (the employees not the Trams), from 58 years old to 60 years old and they are out on strike every so often, (too often), in protest - strikes are usually on a Friday, ( sometimes Monday), so that they can take a "long weekend" which the French love as they need time to recover from their 35 hour working week and their 2 hour lunch breaks - they really have it hard out here

It was chaos today so they all sat around eating a good lunch and complain about the cold

ps - the guy in the middle moved - most inconsiderate!

BDX_Tram.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

some of them took to their Bikes

BDX_Bikes.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Grace Episcopal Church, Georgetown, Washington, DC

Grace Episcopal Church, Georgetown, was founded in the 1850s to serve the laborers, craftsmen, shopkeepers, and watermen of the Georgetown waterfront.

The current church was completed in 1866. The church has always been active in supporting the poor and indigent. Today, the church maintains a non-denominational community center under the church that provides laundry service, showers, and counseling to the homeless population in the Georgetown area.

S95
Grace_Church.jpg

A lone runner moves along the normally busy Georgetown (Washington, DC) waterfront park on a cold and blustery December Day with the Kennedy Center and Watergate Building in the background.

S95

Kennedy_Ctr_Seen_from_Georgetown.jpg

Back