Fuji Capture One express Fujifilm for free

As a Capture One user since shortly after switching to digital photography in 2003, the C1 Express is for me the biggest news to come out of Photokina. I upgraded regularly through version 7, but then went several years without switching cameras, so did not need to upgrade to version 8. My X-Pro 1 and X-T1 both work fine with v.7, but not my X-T20. When I tried to upgrade, I found that I could not do so from v.7 and would have to pay full price for the current version. So I downloaded Silkypix to process my X-T20 files. It does a pretty good job and is easy to use, but I’ll be happy to get back to Capture One.

C1 Express is free to Fuji users.

The Pro version is what requires a license. People with a license for the current version of Capture One get the full Pro version with all of the Fuji support added in.

Well I tried this yesterday and had to be dragged off the PC kicking and screaming several hours later. I can't believe how much better this is than LR and Iridient. I had previously tried the Full Pro version and found the interface difficult after having been Adobe conditioned for the past 20 years so probably never gave it a real chance. The Express version now gives me a headache though - how to import my LR catalogue into C1Ex without losing anything. At least I've got a back up if I mess up.

I own full V7 and Sony V9 but could not get to like the Sessions or Catalog approach and Capture One folders kept 'breeding'. The Fuji Express version has a more conventional workflow which I'm much happier with and yes, I like the results too.

After trying quite a few different Fuji flows and never really settling on one, I am loving this free version. I use the word loving quite liberally but in this case I really do.

The conversions look great. The profile simulations look great. It has all I need in a day to day to editor. If not I can hand it off to Luminar or CS6 if I want more.

I feel like I've been saying this lot lately but it's a great day and age for a digital shooter. Especially a Fuji shooter.

Yes, this.

I hated C1 when I briefly tested it before, I still think the GUI isn't as nice as LR but the free version does all I want better than LR, I still have the PS+LR subscription though.

What's ultimately important for me is, after my thorough comparison, the raw conversion is as good or even better than the X-Transformer from Iridient, which I bought for $29.99, with the C1 Fuji Express, no more raf to dng conversion needed.

Well I tried this yesterday and had to be dragged off the PC kicking and screaming several hours later. I can't believe how much better this is than LR and Iridient. I had previously tried the Full Pro version and found the interface difficult after having been Adobe conditioned for the past 20 years so probably never gave it a real chance. The Express version now gives me a headache though - how to import my LR catalogue into C1Ex without losing anything. At least I've got a back up if I mess up.
Isn't there an "Import Catalog => Lightroom Catalog" in the file menu?
I have no idea if it causes any damage or loss during the process since I've never done it but I suppose that's what you've been looking for?

Did a search for 'content-aware fill' as none of my s/w is a patch on Adobe since I ditched it. Came up with Affinity Photo so downloaded a trial and the 'fill' ability is very good. It is slow when developing RAF files though I may still buy it.

When I first started using Affinity I had to do a search for where to find content aware fill never thinking Affinity would give it a different name.

I love that Affinity has frequency separation as an automated process. For whatever reason, in PS you still have to do the entire process manually. Plus Affinity’s version works better and faster.

OK, I've purchased a copy of Affinity Photo for $80AUD (incl 10% GST). Was pleased to find my ageing collection of 6 Nik plugins and 8 Topaz plugins work fine once you copy the .8bf files into the Affinity plugins folder. And this is the free Google release of Nik, not the DxO paid version.

Isn't there an "Import Catalog => Lightroom Catalog" in the file menu?
I have no idea if it causes any damage or loss during the process since I've never done it but I suppose that's what you've been looking for?
Sorry, been away for a few days. Yes, I can do it that way but need to read up on what might get lost in the translation first.

Sorry, been away for a few days. Yes, I can do it that way but need to read up on what might get lost in the translation first.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I can imagine not everything from LR will be supported exporting into another program. Sadly every piece of software we use now may become obsolete in the future, so better not rely on any perhaps?

Back