Capture One (moving from LR)

AndyMcD

All-Pro
Okay, so I got back from a week long trip where I had my laptop so processed pictures as I went - using LR/PS and Silver Efex. Towards the end of the week I started to notice worms, and lots of them - even at 100% which didn't seem to be the case previously. I think that if I turn of all sharpening in LR (or at least dial it down to have little or not effect) makes the problem go away.

There are other issues I am seeing with LR - I find it slow, plus some of the UI doesn't refresh like it should (I often get stuck on low-res images when zooming in).

So, I am giving Capture One another go. I have v12 Express for Fuji installed and have started playing with it. I can get worms, but only by cranking sharpening up to far too high a value. I can't justify the cost of going to the Pro version, so I want to use this with PS and Silver Efex. I need to spend as long as I can learning Capture One so I can then look to swapping out PS and Silver Efex later.

I am struggling to see the difference between Edit in and Open in when using the menus - it seems like Open In sends the RAF to PS whereas Edit In sends a TIF - but even when I send a TIF over I get taken through Camera Raw in PS. Am I missing something here?

Also, I assume that there isn't a grad filter tool in Express?

I think all of the extra tools are in the pro versions.

I have a post on here somewhere showing the worm artifacts compared between LR, C1, and straight out of camera jpg. LR is terrible about the worm artifacts.

If you would make a layer in PS for a change you might want to adjust later, I do the same in C1. I am using C1 pro for Sony and I like the way it handles the raw files. I use the "Edit With" if I want to use the adjustments I have made. But, not all adjustments transfer to PS or LR, just be aware. The videos they have available are quite good and answer many questions for me.

I've spent a few hours on these images today. I think I am beginning to understand Capture One. I was worried about healing/cloning but I can get that to work now.

Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The second one is still a little dark for my taste and I am struggling to keep the clouds together whilst getting interest into them.

This one worked a bit better but shows worms at 100% - I think that is my fault though (too much structure I think)

I've spent a couple of days watching tutorials and have had a couple of ah-ha moments (brightness only affects midtones, plus how clarity works). I managed to seperate the hills in the far background from the castle and ridge to get a better picture here. This isn't nearly as easy as it would be with LR and Silver Efex Pro but the results are more controlled and more nuanced using Capture One. I haven't paid anything yet - there is a 50% deal right now, but I may not be able to take that up - I am probably going to end up being 'pay as you go' for a while.

Have you had any experience with higher ISOs yet? I don't shoot Fuji so it's not 1:1 but I'd love to give up LR for something with good noise reduction in addition to all the other tools. I tried On1 Raw but it falls apart quickly with files from my Panasonic and the Ricoh GR.

Here are a couple of edits using Capture One.

This was my first attempt, which I think is "okay" but I wanted to really bring out the layering in this one by emphasising the tonal differences. Also I think that the sky is a bit flat in this one.

A little bit of masking and carefully using a curve in the sky leads to this, which is much closer to what I wanted.

Ugh, just spotted the sensor mark at top left, I'll heal that out later.

So, turns out that the half price Fuji offer also applies to monthly subscription that you take out annually. So I am all in at £8 per month!

I think Capture One slows me down a lot compared to Adobe/Silver Efex but I prefer the results from Capture One as I am in much greater control. I am still having ah-ha moments as I go, but it definitely feels like the time spent is worthwhile.

I am using Gimp 2.10 as my PS replacement. I only really used PS for Content-Aware fill anyway and Gimp covers that with the Resynch plug-in.

My Adobe subscription lasts another few months, I will attempt to pull in my catalogue sometime before then I think, but I may just create catalogues by year to keep the size down (plus my older stuff is Nikon anyway).

I've noticed some issues processing RAW files in Lightroom...and have On1 Photo RAW 2018. I notice it works better at reducing the offending artifacts in most cases.

I've tried Iridents stuff and didn't get along with it.

Is the consensus that CaptureOne is probably the prime Fuji X-Trans RAW processor right now?

Capture One and I have an ongoing problem with my pics saying there offline, then I have to restore them. Other than that I love it. I have good luck with On1 2019 also. It's faster and just all around better than 2018. I'm still in the learning stages of both C1 Fuji Pro and On1 2019. I still round trip to PS CC out of both programs mainly for Content Aware and some of the plugins work slicker out of CC.

Back