Sony Carl Zeiss 24mm f1.7 lens for NEX

Well the good news is that the Camera shop I'll be working in are Zeiss & Sony dealers so either way we will get early shipments and i will be able to test the lens (all be it amateurishly ) when it comes out. Life's a bitch eh!! :cool:

I'd get excited about the 24 if it weren't for all the delays we have already seen, notably the X100. Might as well relax because it could be a long wait. Not to throw a wet blanket on everyone's enthusiasm. :(

I guess an alternative would be a Sigma 24mm f1.8 (great lens!) with an electronic Canon EOS to NEX E-Mount adapter that's close to being released.....can't find the thread about it at the moment. I'll update when I have found it.

Alternative 2 is the A series adapter and Zeiss 24mm f2, Stunning lens apparently but dunno how quick the auto focus is plus the lens is £900ish :(

I've been using a Canon FD 24mm 2.8.
I'll tell ya, it's got me right in the FOV pocket that I see.
It's a great lens with the Nex.
I just did around 300 images at Gettysburg and that is the only lens used. Sure I'd love the Zeiss but I can wait..... Actually, I'm happy with this setup and don't care about anything else..
for the moment....

I've been using a Canon FD 24mm 2.8.
I'll tell ya, it's got me right in the FOV pocket that I see.
It's a great lens with the Nex.
I just did around 300 images at Gettysburg and that is the only lens used. Sure I'd love the Zeiss but I can wait..... Actually, I'm happy with this setup and don't care about anything else..
for the moment....
I think that Canon FD lens you have is very similar to my Vivitar, 24mm f2.8. They both seem to produce very sharp images as yours look the same as mine for image quality etc. I must admit that 24mm is spot on for me too and the Vivitar is an absolute joy to use, so much so I'm kinda hard pressed to see why i would need the Zeiss when it comes out. We would be spending hundreds of $ or £ just for AF when the NEX has a brilliant MF assist function that is quick and easy to use. I can't see the Zeiss being that much better for IQ either as our lenses are SO good. OK the Zeiss will be a bit faster but again you have to weigh up the $ for function. When it arrives I'm going to ask if i can take it home for the weekend and give it a good try out. If I feel it's worth paying out for then I'll get one, If there's not much difference then I'll stick with the Vivitar.

I'm very tempted to get the Sigma 24mm f1.8 for my Canon 500D!! I dunno what it is about 24mm focal length but it just works! (y)

Back