Leica Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 ZM C Sonnar

asiafish

All-Pro
Name
Andrew
So I owned one of these and sold it about two-years-ago, but once again I find myself the proud owner of a C Sonnar.

My last one was in the much nicer silver finish, but was optimized for f/2.8. My new (to me) one is in the less-impressive black finish, but was optimized by Zeiss (for the previous owner) for accurate focus at f/1.5 and while I would have preferred a silver one, the price was too good to pass up.

This is an absolutely illogical purchase as this lens does nothing that my others lenses can't do. It isn't sharper or lower distortion than my Leica Summicron, and it doesn't have any more Sonnar magic than my other Sonnars.

What it does do is combine some of the attributes of both into a single lens and just letting me have one more shockingly similar lens to add to my collection. I guess I'm officially a Sonnar fanatic.

But if you are a Sonnar Fanatic... what is someone that owns Thirty 50mm Sonnar lenses in Leica mount....

Congratulations on coming to your senses...

AND- what I have found: the C-Sonnar is the sharpest of all the 50mm Sonnar formula lenses, has less curvature of field. Still retains that Sonnar look.

Here's one with my C-Sonnar on the M Monochrom, Type A conversion filter: does well indoors to add some contrast, only reduces exposure by ~2/3rds of a stop.

22747020898_8f9f92130c_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Veterans Day, 2016 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Wide-Open, ISO1250.

I have some colour ones from the M240 in Italy.

L1006897-Edit-2.jpg

L1006904-Edit-2.jpg

Back