Leica Showcase Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2.8 Tessar, chrome-nose, Contax mount, via Amedeo Adapter

Brian

Product of the Fifties
The 5cm F2.8 Tessar never seemed to get the respect that the F3.5 version did. The original Black-Nosed version is stated to be a different optically. I have one, will do a close comparison.

This one had a bad front element when received, about the center 1/3rd had heavy cleaning marks. I replaced the front element from a parts lens. Then shimmed it to be between the Contax RF and Nikon S-mount. Used with a Nikon-Leica Amedeo adapter.

Wide-Open, on the M9.

15429519396_21fe59b099_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Gunston Hall

At F4,

15265977158_cecbe3e2b6_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Gunston Hall

The Contax RF Mount 5cm F2.8 Tessar was labeled "A Dog", with the F3.5 being much more popular. I need to try out my even earlier black-paint version.

Tessar 5cm 2.8:

U3565I1233976243.SEQ.0.jpg

Brian, I'm having front focusing issues with one of these (collapsible prewar 2.8) on an Amedeo adapter - the RF reads 1.75m; correct focus is when the adapter reads 2m. It looks like it might be 8cm close at 1m. It's a very sharp lens, but I'm stumped as to what could be out of adjustment?

Thanks!
Dante

The Tessar uses a Shim- I remember having to make a new one when replacing the front element in this lens. The rear group has spanner slots, then I thing the front section comes out to reveal a shim- similar to an Industar-50. The front element is held in by the namering, rubber cork got it out. I remember it making sense once unscrewing things with the spanner, and actually going back together again. The Sonnars are easier- one set screw and the barrel unscrews from the mount.

It sounds like the shim is too thick to focus so far out.

Back