Leica Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T, converted to Leica mount | Location: USA | Ships: Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Product of the Fifties
Buy & Sell Listing - Want to Sell
Selling
Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T, converted to Leica mount

Prices
$200

Ships to
Worldwide

Description
FS: This is a wartime (~1941) Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 Sonnar T converted to Leica Thread mount using the focus mount of a late Jupiter-8. I set the focus using the M Monochrom, and have tested it across range. This lens is usable at F2 across range, as shown in these images. When setting a Zeiss standard lens to work on a Leica rangefinder, a compromise must be made. For this F2 lens, at 1M the focus is very slightly behind the RF, the exact point is about 1/3rd way into the DOF rather than 1/2. This gives better agreement at infinity. I flood-cleaned the aperture blades, cleaned internal surfaces, and lubed the helical. Aperture ring stays in place, the rear retaining ring puts reasonable friction on it. Typically, Sonnar aperture rings turn too freely once the 70 year old grease is cleaned out of them.

This is one of the first coated lenses made, the coating on each of the outer surfaces is worn and uneven. Looking through the lens, you will see wear spots on the rear surface, and "blotching" on the front surface. In practice, they still do their jobs: I used a hood for these example Photos, but took a lot of back-lit shots.

Price is $200 including Shipment within the US, $210 including First-Class international, and $225 for insured International Priority mail. $10 discount for domestic personal check/money order or Paypal Gift.

Payment accepted
  • Regular PayPal (fee included in price)
  • Personal check
Shipping method
-

Shipping charge
-

Handling time
-

References
-

Additional comments
  • Open to trade offers
Acknowledgement
  • I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Focus test, closest focus and distance, at F2. Full image and 100% crops.

- - - Updated - - -

More example shots with this lens, at F2 and with orange filter on the m Monochrom. Midrange and flare test.

- - - Updated - - -

Pine Needles- "Flare and reflection stress test", at F2.
RIMG0154.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
RIMG0172.jpg
RIMG0163.jpg
L1003181.jpg
L1003181-Edit.jpg
L1003195.jpg
Sign_Inf_f2.jpg
L1003203.jpg
L1003196.jpg
L1003198.jpg

Last edited:
The wartime Sonnars are amazing. Zeiss "Tweeked" the optics, I believe used a new glass, around 1939. The edge-to-edge performance is improved. My 5cm f2 Sonnar T is from the same batch of 1000 lenses as this one. It was the second Sonnar that I converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back