Leica Carl Zeiss Jena 8.5mm Sonnar

VINCETAN

Top Veteran
Got the CZ Jena 8.5cm Sonnar. I think this one is circa 1936, no coating??? Camera is a Leica M 240 with an Amadeo adapter. The shots are all at wide open. I find this lens is not as easy to use as the modern 85mm Sonnar ZM. My first few shots with a lamp above the subject were just not usable. These are a bit better.

Attachments

• L1001146.jpg
    L1001146.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 194
  • L1001142.jpg
    L1001142.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 164
They look good to me!

Cute Subject....

Second shot- nailed the focus. You might want to try a ciuple of test shots with a ruler. Some of these older lenses benefit from being shimmed to work best with the adapters. Remember, it was not uncommon to being your camera and lenses in to be "Zeroed", ie matched for each other.

The focus seems to be pretty good. I sent this to Youxin for cleaning because the focus was too stiff. The focus is much better now but the focus is still not very smooth. Seems like there are certain point where it will catch but then it moves again. It is not dampened at all and focus seems to have a hallow feel. Not like a leitz lens. I am trying to sell this but I don't sell it, I will try to open it up and see if I can improve the fell of the focus.

My issue is more of flares. If there is a strong light near the subject, maybe due to the glass not having any coating, it flares badly. It does create a unique character to the photo. I find it pleasing for BW conversion.

For now, I am putting this lens back in storage and decide to pull my 90 Summicron APO.

Brian, BTW, is it easy to take off the mount of a modern Leica lens like the 90mm Apo? the mount is not 6-bit and I am thinking of sending the mount to JLM to have him 6-bit code the mount. Just not sure how straight forward it is to remove the mount. Any tricks of the trade in removing and remounting the mount?

Thanks
Vince

"Supposedly" people replace the Leica precision-made mount with some on Ebay...

Some are easier than others; if screws from the back hold it in- should be easy to get off and back on. If the person can code it, they should be able to take it off the lens. I have not coded mine, just dial it in manually.

My mind is not as good as before. With uncoded lens in the mix, I ended up forgetting to change the setting all the time. Livable still since I hardly take the 90mm out with me. Usually ended up with 50 and wider.

Coincidently, I've shot a couple of rolls with my 8.5cm f/2 Sonnar the last two weeks on my Contax II.
I hope mine turn out as nice as yours, Vincetan. I like the soft OFF background in your photos, really brings out the subject :)

I think I want one of those amadeo adapters.

The amadeo adapter is actually very accurate. I had some issue with it an my Nikkor 10.5cm but it worked perfectly on the Nikkor 8.5 and the Zeiss 8.5cm. Unfortunately, the one I got is keyed as a 75mm. When I try to code it as a 90, it did not work. I code it as 75 and it worked perfectly.

The Zeiss definitely has some unique character. It is a bit soft for me however so I actually ended selling it. I will try a Jupiter 9 next.

Vince

The roll of Rollei Retro 80S I shot with the Contax II came out beautifully. The 85mm Sonnar is sharp where it counts and creamy everywere else. Shame the KMZ turret viewfinder I used is too far of kilter and it ruined a lot of the compositions. Need to buy dedicated Zeiss one.

Not sure I'm allowed to share the results here :rolleyes:

The 8.5cm F2 pre-war CZJ Sonnar is a 7-element in three group design. Those after the war were 5 element in three groups, like the Nikkor lens. The J-9 held with the original 7 in 3.

Rick- just open another thread in the adapted lens forum, where this one is placed.

Brian, I somehow got the lens back after selling it on *bay because the buyer is not happy that the aperture ring goes past f22 a bit and he also mentioned that there are some missing black paint inside the optics module.

Just wondering if it is easy to get the optics out to touchup the paint inside and also if you know if there is any adjustment to stop the aperture at f22 exactly?

I think I will end up just keeping the lens. It will be a good toy lens for me the play with.

Vince

These lenses routinely turn past a marked stop- the F22 mark is F22, past it is a bonus...

The glass comes out with a standard spanner- I use a sharpie to touch up lost paint. But, I would not worry about a little lost paint.

I'd keep it, you had it lubed- these lenses are getting harder to find in good condition.

Finally was able to put the whole thing back less one screw. Extra parts, who needs it anyways :)

I did add a little bit of Finish Line grease on the helical and it is now very smooth. Feels really great actually. So I decided to shoot a few shots with the Sony A7r. All shots are wide open at f2.0.

Attachments

• DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00408.jpg
    DSC00408.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00395.jpg
    DSC00395.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 125
Brian, do you have any idea how I can fix the filter thread of this kind of lens? I am not having any luck putting a filter on this lens.

Thanks
Vince

Back