Carry everywhere camera with automatic image transfer to smartphone?

Amin

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

For a long time now, I’ve been doing virtually all my photography on an iPhone. I’d like to try carrying around a dedicated camera around again, but it’s important to me that it be very easy to share JPEGs via my phone. Are there any cameras which automatically send all pics to a smartphone via Bluetooth without having to do manual steps to make it happen each time?

Ideally I’m looking for a small camera with a fixed focal length between 25 and 40mm equivalent. Fixed lens or interchangeable lens would be fine.

-Amin

It's been more than a year since we've much about this project. The web site is still up, of course. But will it ever happen?

According to their facebook page (there are sample photos there), they are nearly ready to launch with details coming soon.

To Amin's question, I have not heard of one. Sony seemed close several years ago with their camera play app.

Last edited:
Amin, I suspect the closest product you can currently buy is the Canon G7X Mark III. But I'm not sure it goes quite as far as you want it to. Plus it requires an initial, one-time set-up with Canon's clunky website:

I believe the Fuji cameras from XE3 and newer can all do this via the Fuji App.

The new Nikon Snapbridge might do it as well. I'm not 100% sure as I generally do not shoot like that - instead opting to save battery on both devices and only transfer those that I want to share via social media. That is a rare occasion, though.

According to their facebook page (there are sample photos there), they are nearly ready to launch with details coming soon.

To Amin's question, I have not heard of one. Sony seemed close several years ago with their camera play app.

This is very interesting. I can see myself switching over from Leica Q to this

This is very interesting. I can see myself switching over from Leica Q to this
Yes, it looks interesting, but somehow, I prefer the M8 over this (to date) - similar resolution, APS-H, CCD (very nice colours). Still, technologically, it's a very intriguing project, mixing the new and the proven, that I'd love to see succeed (global shutter?! M mount?! cool ...). Which means that I may get one at some point in time - if it ever gets real.

M.

instead opting to save battery on both devices and only transfer those that I want
That'd be my main concern as well. By having both the camera and phone running non-stop with a large amount of data going either over wi-fi or bluetooth (depending on what gear is being used, Canon Connect supports either) then the batteries of both devices will quickly get taxed.
Are there any cameras which automatically send all pics to a smartphone via Bluetooth without having to do manual steps to make it happen each time?
Does it have to be automatic? Canon Connect will transfer via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, and it sounds like Nikon offers similar, but it having it done automatically may introduce some other unexpected concerns like battery life.

If I really wanted / needed quick easy transfer I'd be tempted to just use micro SD w/adapter in the camera and stick the card into my phone.

Part of the reason for that is keeping track of where the copies exist. It's easy to loose track of where copies are when you have multiple devices and cloud storage options.

I think it's gonna just have to be a phone camera for now. Transferring pics is too much of a chore.

It's interesting, Amin. I imagine that, in theory, you like photography as much as you ever did, but that life has simply gotten too busy to indulge yourself the way you used to and carry around gear like you used to. Therefore, taking family photos is much more of utility and you want it to be as fast and efficient as possible. I get that - and I'm in a bit of a similar situation yself.

Despite getting older, I'm working harder and longer than ever before. So most of my personal interests have had to take a back seat. I enjoy interacting with the community here and on your sites, Amin. But I don't have a lot of time for dedicated photography these days. More like occasional drive-by photography. I wonder if, when I eventually stop working (or at least full time) whether I'll have the energy or interest.

It's interesting, Amin. I imagine that, in theory, you like photography as much as you ever did, but that life has simply gotten too busy to indulge yourself the way you used to and carry around gear like you used to. Therefore, taking family photos is much more of utility and you want it to be as fast and efficient as possible. I get that - and I'm in a bit of a similar situation yself.

Despite getting older, I'm working harder and longer than ever before. So most of my personal interests have had to take a back seat. I enjoy interacting with the community here and on your sites, Amin. But I don't have a lot of time for dedicated photography these days. More like occasional drive-by photography. I wonder if, when I eventually stop working (or at least full time) whether I'll have the energy or interest.
I picked up a Peak 20L backpack a little over 1 year ago simply because I could divide the main section into a space I can fit a Think Tank Speed Changer bag in the bottom section and work needs on the top. I don't take it out every day or even every week. But it's handy if I see something going to and from, even if it's just see it and plan to stop another day. It's helped provide me with more opportunities.

I picked up a Peak 20L backpack a little over 1 year ago simply because I could divide the main section into a space I can fit a Think Tank Speed Changer bag in the bottom section and work needs on the top. I don't take it out every day or even every week. But it's handy if I see something going to and from, even if it's just see it and plan to stop another day. It's helped provide me with more opportunities.
I virtually always carry two cameras in an ONA Bowery, one film, one digital - or at the very least least the Canon G1X III in a jacket pocket or belt pouch. It's become a habit. The Bowery doesn't get in the way (hardly ever, that is), and having a camera with me is something I find essential - it's *the* outlet for me. Now more than ever.

But then, I'm certainly not into immediate sharing ... curating is important, and consistent pp is helpful. I'm down to 1 to 2 minutes per image chosen; sometimes I fiddle, sometimes I convert to b&w, but that's not a chore (scanning is, though).

M.

Not that I have any experience with it, nor that I'm convinced by its concept - but just to throw it out there:
Would something like the DXO One work for you?

Might be a completely useless suggestion - if you're after the user experience of an actual camera rather than just better image quality....

The Pixii uses 12-bits per pixel. The M8, using M8RAW2DNG uses 14-bits per pixel.
I doubt that a crop-format, 4080x2732 resolution, rangefinder camera that cost as much as the Leica 240 "M-E" is going to make it.

I virtually always carry two cameras in an ONA Bowery, one film, one digital - or at the very least least the Canon G1X III in a jacket pocket or belt pouch. It's become a habit. The Bowery doesn't get in the way (hardly ever, that is), and having a camera with me is something I find essential - it's *the* outlet for me. Now more than ever.

But then, I'm certainly not into immediate sharing ... curating is important, and consistent pp is helpful. I'm down to 1 to 2 minutes per image chosen; sometimes I fiddle, sometimes I convert to b&w, but that's not a chore (scanning is, though).

M.

I'm not into immediate sharing either. I was thinking about picking up an old Canon G16 (a friend has one in excellent condition) to keep in a even smaller bag or pouch. It could even live in the glove compartment in my car. 28-140mm zoom. But perhaps it's too much to ask of that 1/1.7 -inch sensor. Still, the G15/16 seems to hold its value remarkably well. I also have the Fuji XF10 for wide angle work but I don't know that I want to leave it in the car all time time.

Back