133.3 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF8245.jpg
    DSCF8245.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF8249.jpg
    DSCF8249.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 175
Wow - I love those purples and yellows.

Did you shoot raw or jpg? Not sure if it's just me, but I'm finding I have to dial down the reds/pinks/magentas on the X-E1 JPEGs, and I seem to see some of that with your red tulip.

All shots are raw, processed through lightroom 4.4...no color corrections. I did change exposure on a couple of the shots and sharpened up a couple shots--exporting to jpegs for posting.

Thanks. So I guess the reds are a little aggressive even in raw (unless they really are that red)? Don't get me wrong - I love my X-E1, I just noticed this a lot primarily because my daughters almost always wear something pink. :)

Very nice photos indeed. Even more impressive because you shot with manual. I especially like the shot of the bee on top of the flower. The grain in the white flower of your first series also works really well !.
thanks for sharing,
Peter

Hyubie,

Just my two cents (after doing some testing during my camera decision process): shooting in raw delivers better results, especially in reds. I shot quite a few photos of red roses and the jpegs looked bad (tried astia, velvia, standard with various other processing settings). I should add "when I viewed them in LR4.4". The raw results (with standard preset applied) looked much better. Not quite as nice as the reds produced by the D800 but good enough (D800 required more WB corrections). Shooting raw does not really take more time. During import in LR I apply standard preset and further processing is often not necessary (sometimes adding contrast in midtones, sometimes local adjustments). I only shoot jpeg "just in case" and for the reasons Rico writes about in his book.
Peter

Thanks. So I guess the reds are a little aggressive even in raw (unless they really are that red)? Don't get me wrong - I love my X-E1, I just noticed this a lot primarily because my daughters almost always wear something pink. :)

Back