Cats Cats Whiskers

ScleralGuy

Veteran
Name
Leonard Jay
L1000156.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1000156.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 12.17.47 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 12.17.47 PM.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 79d85244d16f4cc4a99e1363f63cf311.jpeg
    79d85244d16f4cc4a99e1363f63cf311.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 47
  • I'm Not Posing'.jpeg
    I'm Not Posing'.jpeg
    668.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGL5147.JPG
    IMGL5147.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 43
Nice shots, Jay. Love the one of the cat sitting on the fence rail.

There is a dedicated pussycat thread here:

Now up to around 3,300 posts ... :) .

I want to emphasise what John said: Please, if possible, don't start a new thread for every worthwhile image - instead, use existing threads and post there. Personal threads don't see a lot of traffic as a rule, and visibility is generated by participating, not keeping apart.

If you want to know what's around, use the "Search" function - best practice is to click on "Search", then enter a keyword and wait for suggestions; it's not difficult to get there, and once you know your way around, popular threads will be enriched by what you have to contribute. Your cat images really belong into the thread John linked - all of them, full size! Take your time to add them - this way, everyone will be most happy about it!

As an addendum: I may be extreme in that respect, but I usually don't look at, comment on or react to images and threads that duplicate existing content (or fork it) because I find them irritating. It's not worth my time to click through endless single-image threads if I can scroll through frequented ones and see a multitude of interesting images there.

You're just starting out, so no hard feelings at all - and I do love your cat images. But I also like things tidy (because I'm among those who have to keep it that way).

M.

Can I ask, usually on DPR I respond to likes etc.. Is it protocol on this Forum?
Ah - no, definitely not :) Thanks for asking! You really don't need to - Herman just demonstrated that we use Likes as our usual way of appreciating something: most often, an image we find appealing; on messages, it's something like, "cheers, okay", roughly speaking. So, no need to respond other than using the emojis yourself; Likes are quite common and frequent. The other emojis are more distinct, but are also used quite often.

M.

Ah - no, definitely not :) Thanks for asking! You really don't need to - Herman just demonstrated that we use Likes as our usual way of appreciating something: most often, an image we find appealing; on messages, it's something like, "cheers, okay", roughly speaking. So, no need to respond other than using the emojis yourself; Likes are quite common and frequent. The other emojis are more distinct, but are also used quite often.

M.
To add to what Matt has said, I personally use 'Like' as he mentioned;
'Cool' to mean better than average, competent, a very nice image;
'Wow' as something quite out of the ordinary; and
'Winner' for those occasional shots that are technically and compositionally excellent.

This seems to be a fairly common usage here.

The other emojis are pretty much self explanatory.

It's a very powerful way of giving feedback quickly and simply on images and other posts. There are no negative emojis ...

BTW, everyone can see who has attached which emoji. Helps to keep it polite, and removes anonymity. The latter has been weaponised all over the internet.

There are no negative emojis ...
Well, there are, but they're not used to criticise images - "Groan", "Oh?", "Hhhhhmm..." and "Angry" are used to comment on image content, not quality.

As a moderator, I also use them to indicate that things have gone too far - it's the last step before I issue a formal warning which usually results in a temporary ban as well (and sets the doomsday clock ticking for the member concerned). Thankfully, such occasions are very rare on this forum. We (the community!) have made this a truely comfy corner ...

M.

Well, there are, but they're not used to criticise images - "Groan", "Oh?", "Hhhhhmm..." and "Angry" are used to comment on image content, not quality.

As a moderator, I also use them to indicate that things have gone too far - it's the last step before I issue a formal warning which usually results in a temporary ban as well (and sets the doomsday clock ticking for the member concerned). Thankfully, such occasions are very rare on this forum. We (the community!) have made this a truely comfy corner ...

M.
Quite true, Matt. I just never thought of them in that context.
Even though I have occasionally used each of them.

Back