Smartphone Cell Phone Camera photos

FIMO App Kodachrome simulation
5AE6E634-688F-41E8-AA7C-91097E551311.jpeg

Australia wide response to the threat of COVID19. These are the toilet paper aisles. Its no different in any other store. Madness, selfishness, and plain stupid bloodymindedness. This morning, as I was getting the odds and ends I needed (except the TP of course, and I do need some) there were two women filling their trolley with packets of CupaSoup. Craziness.

IPhone 7, processed in Snapseed which promptly stripped EXIF data. I hate that.
029671AE-FCC3-4602-AF5C-0FD2748C7875.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow... Time flies! Cute shot. How do you like the ultra?
IMG_20200315_173805.jpg

During a walk in a nearby forest with my 97yo grandmother, far away from any other people. The flare seems to have been caused by a scratch on the lens, didn't use to be there before i think. That is one downside of phone cameras, they tend to be in your pocket with other stuff and the tiny lenses are affected quite strongly by a little scratch. Nokia 7.

How do you like the ultra?

I like it a lot, but it's got a lot of hiccups.

The bad: Autofocus is flaky, JPEG colors are not great, and raw colors are worse. The lens has a lot of spherical aberration with close subjects.

The good: Lens is superb with medium to far distance subjects. Main lens is fast (f/1.8). Main sensor is huge for a phone (1/1.33"). Main sensor can shoot JPEG and raw (DNG) simultaneously.

Overall I'd say that any recent iPhone is a better camera for JPEG, but the ability to shoot in DNG lets me get the most out of this very capable lens and sensor.

Every year before the first mowing, it is a good idea for me to rake the yard above and adjacent to the garage, due to the thousands of seed pods dropped by our Sweetgum tree over the winter. It is not a pleasant sensation at all when one of those things shoots out from under the mower and ricochets off a shin!

pods.jpg

Back