Smartphone Cell Phone Camera photos

A few recent ones with the P20 Pro. All unmodified.
AF41A063-B6C5-407B-AB02-A8B4C6F59ECD.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
372C1EBF-66F3-47E5-BD83-59B20E2C8E0E.jpeg
4D93B487-2FA1-489F-B33D-C9229479D2BC.jpeg

I had a play with the Pixel 3 the other day and I have to say it impressed the hell out of me..

I was taking photos of text in very low ambient light, no flash, whilst moving the phone from side to side. Instead of the expected mushy blurred result, I got crisp, readable text that looked like it had been taken by a camera on a tripod in good light...

I could claim that I was shooting for this, but I wasnt. Those tiny jets shot past and were long gone before I heard or saw them. I was just taking a general shot of Nobbys where I havent been for a while. oh yeah... there really are a couple of jets there. I guess they were on exercises from Williamtown AFB.

Window cleaners at my office having a bit of fun. Pixel 3 with some post in HDREfex and SilverEfex:
As the resident sci-fi/genre geek, I love that you chose B&W for this shot as it ends up looking like an onset outtake from one of the 70's Planet of the Apes movies*. 😎

* Yes, the PooA movies were in color but a lot of onset photos from that time period were still being done n B&W.

I could claim that I was shooting for this, but I wasnt. Those tiny jets shot past and were long gone before I heard or saw them. I was just taking a general shot of Nobbys where I havent been for a while. oh yeah... there really are a couple of jets there. I guess they were on exercises from Williamtown AFB.

Looks like Super Hornets or maybe Growlers (Electronic Warfare version). Soon you'll be seeing the first F-35 Stealth Fighters - jealous, I've yet to see one here and they've been on the show circuit for a few years now.

As the resident sci-fi/genre geek, I love that you chose B&W for this shot as it ends up looking like an onset outtake from one of the 70's Planet of the Apes movies*. 😎

* Yes, the PooA movies were in color but a lot of onset photos from that time period were still being done n B&W.

Thanks! I'd love to say I was subconsciously copying the B&W "dailies" from the '60s (which I think I saw when I was younger), but the original color photo I took was terrible - polarized glass plus interior reflections from crappy office lighting sabotaged me. The only way to salvage it was to convert.

Thanks! I'd love to say I was subconsciously copying the B&W "dailies" from the '60s (which I think I saw when I was younger), but the original color photo I took was terrible - polarized glass plus interior reflections from crappy office lighting sabotaged me. The only way to salvage it was to convert.
It came out good in B&W! Ever watch Bob Ross, the painter? One of his more well known quotes comes to mind.... “We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”

Back