Cell phone

it MAY do the job, but depending on whom you ask, it doesn't do it nearly as conveniently. I CHECK my email on a phone, but writing an email on a telephone (and I don't care how big one's screen is) a surely one of the levels of hell. Editing images can also be done on a telephone, but again....the experience leaves MUCH to be desired. For me, a cel phone is used to make phone calls, take snapshots when I can't carry a proper camera, and check email or play time-wasting games when I'm bored. I generally never use it IN PLACE of a laptop or computer, but obviously everyone's experiences will differ wildly as we value the inherent tradeoffs differently.

Many times through the years I've seen a photo forum post with a tag line similar to "edited on my phone using Snapseed and uploaded with Tap-A-Talk". I agree with Luke; just reading a photo forum on a phone is adequate at best, and I can't imagine editing and uploading images on my phone.

I'm reasonably tech-savvy but refuse to use my phone except in emergencies. The current obsession with checking one's phone by the minute bemuses me - I'll talk to YOU when I'm ready. The household has a desktop, laptop, tablet and smart phone but prefer my PC for 99% of tasks. (end of rant).

I seldom use my portable telephone to make calls. Maybe a total of 15-20 mins a month.

I use it for:
Email (bluemail)
Browsing (Chrome)
eCommerce (various)
Collaborative working (Asana)
Music (Google Play & Amazon)
Image processing (Snapseed and Instagram)
Writing my next book (Docs)
Organisation (Google calendar)
Messaging (Messages, Whatsapp, Teams)
Navigation (Waze)
Fitness Tracking (Misfit)
Key location (Tile)
Banking (various)
Investment (Moneybox)
Social media interactions (Twitter, Instagram, G+)
Flight tracking (various)
Reading books (Kindle)
Listening to radio and podcasts (various)
File storage and access (Google Drive, Amazon Cloud)
Travel booking (various)

...and very occasionally to take a picture.

I have a desktop, a laptop, two tablets - but it is my portable telephone that provides me with most interaction on a daily basis.

I have an iPhone SE. It fits in my pocket and goes with me when we are "out and about". I too refuse to fondle it. I use it when we travel for all those travel-related "things" and I do enjoy getting a text now and then from "the boys" - two grown sons and a grandson. The camera? Yeah, I guess so.
I do like the fact that it has 128gb of memory and with the Apple SD to Lightning adapter I can back up my files on it to either iCloud or my Google drive and do a quick post-process in Snapseed if the situation calls for it and I don't have my my MacBook with me.
My Mac Mini, used with an Eizo monitor, is about to go see the Apple folks as it seems to have developed some issues.
That's about it.
. . . David

I have a desk top, a tablet and a mobile phone... all Apple. Most of my daily web browsing, emailing and casual reading (including this forum) is done on my iPad. But I reserve all photo processing and critical writing for my iMac.

My iPhone is used for calling, texting, occasional emailing and the odd fact check on the Internet. Sometimes I stream audio to my car's system. I refuse to constantly check my phone and even have the ringer turned off.

I also have wifi and location services turned off. I can turn them on if I require the use if a certain app, such as navigation. And I don't ever do mobile banking. Everything is safe and secure... until the day they tell you it's not.

I have begun to do mobile banking on my iPhone 6S. Since changing my bank accounts to a provider that allows me to use Apple Pay, I rarely bother with cash at all, so having a bank which notifies me *immediately* of any expenditure on the accounts is actually a good thing. I feel like the 6S is pretty safe... lets hope I am right. I like that between Apple Watch and the bank, no information about my card is passed to a vendor, its just a token representing the card and so not subject to hacking. Yet. I like not having to fuss with cards and money. So far the only place which doesnt accept Apple Pay is the local pub, and they don't accept cards or other payment methods other than cash anyway.

As for other things, when my eyes are behaving I have been known to do minimal editing on the phone with Snapseed, and I read a LOT with Hyphen or Marvin.

I recently saw a great exhibit at the Boston MOSI about technology in every day life. They had a booth that was *exactly* 1984 when I was a teen. :) Rolodex, Take-out Menu, JC Penny Mail Order Catalog, old fashioned checkbook, bank passbook, low-profile wall phone with the extra long piggly cord so you can reach around corners, Betamax (not VHS!), 12" CRT Color TV, and an original Atari. What would take Four and a Half hours (pay a bill, order a Catalog item, figure out what's probably left at the video rental store on a Saturday, arrange for takeout, see which friends are about and their plans in the next two hours, etc); done - inside of 15 minutes - on a current Smartphone.

I let the technology that is helpful - help me. :D Mind you I've got several kids, the oldest in their twenties, the youngest is a tweener, so I'm not a hipster Spring Chicken by any stretch. But I enjoy finding how technology is enabling a more convenient and secure living so I can enjoy other things. As a result, yes, there are many Mobile Applications that have taken the place of my PC. To be fair, I find myself doing mostly Photo Post-Processing on the desktop nowadays. I still pay bills here as well, mostly because I'm old school enough to print a copy of what I've paid. There's still nothing like a piece of paper with the creditor's marquee on top to contest any silliness like late fees, etc.

I love Snapseed on my phone. It helps that I'm 100 percent Google experience (I've been on Nexus since I could afford it, now Pixel) - the more you invest into a system, just like cameras, the more advantages you have - everything is well integrated, easy to move over, and manipulate. It doesn't hurt that Pixel has one of the best cameras in the market right now, so I always have a "good enough" camera on me.

Back