Challenge in April: Who's in?

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
You know I had to google to see what the Vaults were in Leith! Clearly I‘d be no good as a tour guide but after a trip to the Vaults you’d be too merry to care!:drinks:
Actually, I've been there many times and usually haven't overdone it (usually indeed ...) - though it's not difficult to indulge a bit too much there. Anyhow, I've often left the place very, very content ... :biggrin:

But seriously, I will make another trip or three to Scotland, especially the north and the Highlands, and I commonly touch down in Edinburgh because, well, it's where I've lived for a couple of months when I was studying for my CPE. My kind of town, mostly, though I found it heavily overrun by tourists the last couple of times I was there. No reason not to return, though!

M.

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
You know I had to google to see what the Vaults were in Leith! Clearly I‘d be no good as a tour guide but after a trip to the Vaults you’d be too merry to care!:drinks:
I was once upon a time a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society but never visited The Vaults. They had some marvellous whiskies but got too expensive after a few years.
But back on topic, I might also take a few shots with my G7 and 7artisans 25mm. I need to evaluate my gear in good time for the wedding this summer (if it still happens).

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
I was once upon a time a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society but never visited The Vaults. They had some marvellous whiskies but got too expensive after a few years.
But back on topic, I might also take a few shots with my G7 and 7artisans 25mm. I need to evaluate my gear in good time for the wedding this summer (if it still happens).
Oddly, I've been to the Vaults. I've been to Edinburgh three times and I had to stop in when I saw the facade.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
Oddly, I've been to the Vaults. I've been to Edinburgh three times and I had to stop in when I saw the facade.
I’d put it on my to do list when we come out of locked down but I’m not a whisky drinker.

It looks like my travel plans for this year aren’t going to happen. I’m supposed to be in Arizona/New Mexico at the beginning of May, back in China in September and Chile in December.

If I don’t get to any of these places and you have been, take me there through your photos.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
If you are looking for inspiration or tips for April’s challenge you might like following the new photo assignments on Ted Forbes’ YouTube channel, The Art of Photography. First one is up now. You can view it here:

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Yeah, she's waiting for me to get her a new short zoom.
Get her the 12-32mm, and you'll soon have your 20mm ... but then, you may want the 12-32mm yourself ... ;)

Back in the day, I used to travel with just the E-PM1, the 12-32mm and the 20mm. Very nice combo - obviously no long option, but great for urban and landscape nonetheless.

M.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
Get her the 12-32mm, and you'll soon have your 20mm ... but then, you may want the 12-32mm yourself ... ;)

Back in the day, I used to travel with just the E-PM1, the 12-32mm and the 20mm. Very nice combo - obviously no long option, but great for urban and landscape nonetheless.

M.
You can throw in the 35-100 4-5.6 and you have a very versatile kit this is really light.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
You can throw in the 35-100 4-5.6 and you have a very versatile kit this is really light.
If I didn't have too many :mu43: lenses I don't use enough, that'd be the lens I'd buy next. However, at the time I was using the setup, it wasn't even out yet.

It's obviously quite as great (if not even better) than the 12-32mm. Fully agree: superb value - and fitness for purpose.

The lens I use today for travel is the Olympus 14-150mm II - a lens I feel gets too little love, but I like it quite a bit. I usually take along a fast prime as well - at the moment, this means the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 more often than not, but the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 are fine performers as well (the latter is still one of my favourite lenses for the GX9 - a sort of mini-Summicron, sharp, but with a nicer sharpness falloff than the 15mm f/1.7; both are fabulous, anyway).

M.

Last edited:

Steve Noel

All-Pro
Oct 5, 2010
Casey County, KY
Don't want to turn this into a GAS thread.
First, because I can't afford it.
Second, because I've been there done that.
And I've been reasonably satisfied with the OM 50mm on the E-M5. It's not critically sharp, but renders nice. Oh, and it cost me $5.00!
I also have a nearly forgotten Pentax SMC 35mm f3.5, that's suppose to be quite a nice performer, that I've not actually given a real trial. Just now pulled it from the bag, and think I'll use it for SI April 2020.
Looking forward to April. Warm and Green, what's not to love!

note: We no longer go in for long lens photography. Too many reasons to list here.

donlaw

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Don
Since this will be a bit of a hybrid ‘single in’ for me, I am currently thinking about switching lenses each week, 21mm, 35mm, 50mm, then 75mm. Those are the only lenses I have for the Leica system. I may yet change my mind as it comes down to the wire. But since I am limited in places to go, the different perspective might prove interesting.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom