Feedback Change the reaction setup?

But, before we got derailed with silliness here (nothing wrong with silliness), I feel like some sort of consensus was coalescing around the proposal (raised by @Irene McC and contributed to by @MoonMind and others) to reassign the ❤ emoji to represent "wonderful" (or "I love this image") and to add the 🙌 emoji to replace the heart to express "appreciate".

What's the next step to move this idea forward? I realize this isn't necessarily a democracy, but would a poll be in order? Or what's the proper process to act on this suggestion?

-K

@Kevin is aware of the discussion; I'll go with his decision as to what emoji/emoticon to choose for "Appreciate". I hope he'll remove/replace "Neutral" because it doesn't really achieve anything (I'm fully aware of my own delusion in this regard). And finally, I also hope he'll keep the other options alive.

M.

Suggestion to replace 'Wow'

latest

IMHO there are 2x more choices than we need. 7 would be sufficient. If you feel a need to express yourself further there are hundreds in the reply box.

(y)
:winner:
:agree:
:informative:
:sad:
:funny:
:appreciate:

IMHO there are 2x more choices than we need. 7 would be sufficient. If you feel a need to express yourself further there are hundreds in the reply box.

(y)
:winner:
:agree:
:informative:
:sad:
:funny:
:appreciate:
Almost. I like a level between appreciate and winner. There are (for me anyway) many images that fall between the two.

Part two:

And when I have actually liked something, it then says 'remove' but it is unclear what emotion I actually posted, because it just has numbers next to various emojis already given? Why is it like this now?

Also it's now a two step process, not just click the Like and carry on. It's click on the monster sore thumb and select something from a huge range

Part two:

And when I have actually liked something, it then says 'remove' but it is unclear what emotion I actually posted, because it just has numbers next to various emojis already given? Why is it like this now?

Also it's now a two step process, not just click the Like and carry on. It's click on the monster sore thumb and select something from a huge range
Get a grip! It's mostly only the appearance that has changed for now, I guess Kevin is thinking about things and experimenting. As he has every right to!

Handling is mostly as it was, just click on the thumb, and you put a "Like". Options are as they were, period. Nothing new, nothing gone, just as it was.

Changes are under way. On a holiday! Some self-control and patience are in order. For the record: I'm expending loads of both right now. Not because of Kevin.

M.

Ohhhhh dear what have we now?

I woke up and there's a massive thumb under every new post. That makes it look like I've already liked the post without even having seen it :groan:

And there seem to be more emoji choices now. Has an additional one been added?
It's an experiment to check out something. The folks who've mentioned other forums where all of the reactions are shown instead of using a pop-up menu is done with a 3rd-party add-on that adds several features. I picked up a license for it and, after trying it out on our test install, had it active here to see how it'd behave with real usage instead of just in a sandbox.

No new reactions were added or other changes. Though I was tempted to temporarily add a Pikachu reaction just so I could give it to @MountainMan79 at least once. :D

The add-on is disabled again for now as I work out some of the display options since I'm not a fan of the 'big thumb' either. I'm not sure yet if the benefits of the add-on outweigh the 'big thumb' display.

whoa !! I was just thinking aloud ...
It's all good. 🍻 As Matt/MoonMind alludes to though, with it being a holiday weekend (for those that celebrate it) it usually means that traffic is way down so it was a good time to slip in an experiment or two. Having the add-on active on the site, even temporarily for a few hours, gave some feedback to make me think about where to go with it. 👍

Apologies where due ! I was taken aback by two "angry" reactions to my musings which expressed my initial exposure and surprise to the changes.
I was unaware that these were temporary test phases and obviously appreciate the work being done
:hangs head in shame:

I've "re-groaned" for now, though I stand by what I've said. Progress needs work, work needs time, and life's too short to spend it complaining.

For the record: While I didn't like the display ("big thumb"), I liked the more compact and more "patient" hover menu and the fact that once I had reacted, I could "remove" my reaction which I find more logical than having to click on one's own reaction to change it. However, it wasn't working 100% of the time; at random intervals, the "Remove" link wasn't shown. If some configuration can be done about display, it's not bad at all. I'd like double reactions (occasionally) if that's a possible part of the deal.

I hope you'll get some sleep, Kevin!

M.

Back