Crying
Neutral
Oh?
Hmmmmm...
Angry
Winner
Agree
Informative

- that's a total of 15 choices (in German "wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual" - too many choices are torture)

My personal thoughts on this are

X remove Vulcan Salute (What is it anyway?)
X amalgamate Sad and Crying into one only - they seem to be doubling up on similar emotions
X - Neutral? that's a cop out; zero emotion
X - Hmmmm and Oh? and Neutral for that matter all fall into one basket... remove some of them
X - Angry mimics Groan, but in a magnified way. Are they both necessary?

View attachment 303923
While I agree that the emotions need sorting out, Irene, I would not like to see the subtleties removed. Clarified, yes; removed, no.

I think some sort of wreath, or a dove could be appreciate. 2 clapping hands could be thanks, Or how about "thanks" lolz

Please let's use the heart for 'I love this image', it's the most logical use of a heart emoji

I totally agree with your comments about the praying hands.

Not fond of clinking beer mugs which are more in line with *celebration* (and not everybody drinks alcohol)

In an above post in this thread I put forward 🙌 as a possibility, which my kids use a lot in WhatsApp chats and I find quite appropriate

Okay... I've written them down
here goes

Vulcan Salute
Cool
Funny
Wow
Groan
Sad
Crying
Neutral
Oh?
Hmmmmm...
Angry
Winner
Agree
Informative

- that's a total of 15 choices (in German "wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual" - too many choices are torture)

My personal thoughts on this are

X remove Vulcan Salute (What is it anyway?)
X amalgamate Sad and Crying into one only - they seem to be doubling up on similar emotions
X - Neutral? that's a cop out; zero emotion
X - Hmmmm and Oh? and Neutral for that matter all fall into one basket... remove some of them
X - Angry mimics Groan, but in a magnified way. Are they both necessary?

View attachment 303923

I'm 💯% with Irene, here. I think she nails it on every count.

Although I don't love the 🙌 because I don't think it reads as "appreciate" all that universally, I know it is used by many for that meaning and since it would be paired on this forum with the word "appreciate" I think people would catch on pretty quickly — it could teach some of us old dogs a new trick. I couldn't find a better alternative anywhere. Next best would be Chris's suggestion of the FB "care" emoji, but that has not been adopted outside FB and is a bit kitschy.

That would free up ❤️ to denote "I love this image", which would perhaps replace "WOW" in my personal taxonomy or slot in above "WOW" and below 🏆.

While I appreciate the fact that the forum allows more than the standard 4-6 emoji reactions, Irene is also right that too many can become too much and so culling the herd would be appropriate if we're thinking of adding new. Here's the order I'd rank the least useful current options (starting with the least useful):
  1. Neutral (just scroll on if you're neutral)
  2. Oh? (I think "Hmm" can be a decent substitute in most cases)
  3. Angry (I almost never see this used and "Groan" is a decent substitute)
  4. Sad (choose one of "crying" and "sad")
  5. Vulcan salute (as I've noted I don't use it, but I know there are a good number of Trekkies here that adore it, so I'm kinda ambivalent on this one)
- K

I think Irene is pretty spot on too, although I would like to keep the 🖖...I mean, we just got that toy, don’t take it away already!

I do think that groan and angry are different enough to keep them separate however.

Now for appreciate....based on what’s readily available, we’ve all been looking to find something new for that emotion so we can free up the heart for love. But there aren’t a ton of great options. So maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way? Maybe keep heart as appreciate and add something new for love instead. I think 😍Matt mentioned may work better for that than it does for appreciate?

Errrr.... you want a 42 or a 420 - that is the question !
42 strikes me as just another Vulcan salute, but for a slightly different caste of nerdery (no offense intended; I put myself in this category).

And as Irene points out, breaking the number barrier with 42 would lead us to 420 and ♋. 😳

Besides, if we were to add a number, my first choice would be 💯.

- K

I hadn't planned on commenting again, but ... This emoji thing is way more diverse (and, thus, intersting in an unsettling way) than I would have thought.

I get why my way of using 🙏 doesn't scan (Kevin has me bang to rights as to where it originates from - my martial arts background was shining through). However, I find it surprisingly hard to identify with some of the other proposals - symbolism is a tricky business (and, sometimes, a murky or even dodgy one).

So, even though I'm not in favour of promoting unhealthy behaviour (;)), the most "neutral" way, to me, still appears to use 🍻; it has the ring of a traditional way of convivial wellbeing ... (sorry for the complexity of my thinking - it's a sign of my being unnecessarily uneasy with this stuff).

But I also don't want an explosion in emoji numbers. I was the originator of 😐 that doesn't get used (not even by me - I think I've used it maybe twice) and would suggest replacing that one if we want to add something.

A few remarks on usage (because I think that this might turn out the key benefit of this thread in hte long run):
  • I use 😲 for *two* things: Either I'm really impressed with an image immediately, but have to make up my mind if it's outstanding on the whole (that's what I use "Winner" for), or I think the content of the image has emotional impact. To be able to differentiate between the purely positive and the intensity-related aspects would be nice at times. So, the re-interpretation of ❤️ might really be helpful for me (as would be calling it "wonderful" instead of "love"!). But then again, I'm not much of a fan of that symbol either because it gets overused so much (as does the notion of "love" in general).
  • There *is* an emoji we haven't used yet that may be just about bearable: :love: - not a favourite of mine, for much the same reasons Walter has lined out above (it *is* kitchy), but quite recognisable. There are many such uptions ... see above ...
  • Keith's method in post #5 resonates with me. I'm very much in favour of focusing on postive feedback. That's because I'm very familiar with marking and know all too well how disenchanting and discouraging negative feedback can be. However, sometimes, I'd like to be able to 🤦 (I've seen more expressive versions of this - but this is from Emojipedia; here's a link to something much closer to what I have in mind). Please note that this is *not* a hidden comment on this thread (in spite of all the fun we're having ...). But to be honest, I wouldn't know what to phase out (I rarely see 🤨, but I use it occasionally and very consciously as a moderator).
  • And by now, I definitely want a "42" (I don't care about the base, delightful though this diversion was) of some kind - sometimes, serene whimsy is the only way to react to everything ... I only want an emoji added to our list, not a reaction. EDIT: Just found out that even FB has one! I don't use FB, but that means it's almost mainstream :p
Okay, and now it's time for :coffee:

M.
I like the suggestion of labeling the ❤ as "wonderful" (instead of "love"), if we come to agreement on replacing the "appreciate" emoji.

The 😍 is too cutesy/kitschy to get my vote.

- K

Sorry, this may be a cultural thing, but 😩 and 😡 don't really have a lot of overlap in my opinion or experience. If I get angry, things get pretty straightforward - no time (or use) for groaning ... I use both, though mostly in the same thread, and could get by with the first one only, but some things - do make me angry.

For people struggling with too much choice: Just don't use what you don't want to use. When we put in the 😐 one, it wasn't about indifference (I don't react if I feel indifferent - who would?) but a way to signal emotional distancing - a borderline negative reaction, so to speak. But I agree that we can do without that. Kicking out too many options will however result in people wanting them back. As a matter of fact, things have worked fine so far - for quite some time. So if you don't know what's really eating you when it comes to the icons, consider the often neglected option to accept things as they are.

Re-defining ❤️ seems to be the order of the day. Frankly, if it's no longer used for "Appreciate", to be completely honest, I don't need it, but I can appreciate (ha!) most of the thoughts concerning its usage. I want, however, to continue to be able to "appreciate" words of encouragement and praise in a quick and simple way ...

Regarding the "42" discussion (which was never meant to be an option for reaction!!!): Oh, have we stopped fooling around yet? In this case, I suggest we all, myself prominently included, go get a life ... and/or go out and take some pictures. Which is what I am going to do right now ... 👣

M.

P.S. I really like 🖖 - it's an asset to have an easy way to wish someone else a long and prosperous life! We should all learn to think like that - even here an Earth.

Other reactions I would like to present to the board for a vote, in no particular order-
🐳
☠️
🥸
💩
🤌
🍤

Thank you for the consideration.
You forgot the best emoji of them all...
1650122484868.png

- K

⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣤⣶⣶ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⣀⣀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⠁⠀⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠿⠿⠿⠻⠿⠿⠟⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣸⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⠀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⢰⣹⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣭⣷⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠤⠄⠀⠀⠀⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢾⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠤⢄⠀⠀⠀⠠⣿⣿⣷⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡀⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢄⠀⢀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿

Back