Advice Wanted Changing lenses with Tele-Converter

Irene McC

Legend
I've got a 1.4x TC for the Fuji X system, currently using it with my 80mm macro.
I want to use it with the 70-300.

This is common enough and I've swapped TC's before but I have always read that the order in which to do it is as follows:
First remove the lens plus TC from the body, remove the TC and apply it to the next lens you want to use it with, put onto camera body.

Is it necessary to do it that way and what are the benefits? It would be quicker to uncouple the lens from the TC leaving it on the camera body,
and then adding the new-to-be-used lens to the front of the TC.

With the camera (obviously) switched off, is there any chance of disturbing the electronics or causing confusion?

Whatever is convenient for me. I always turn the camera off when switching lenses, but have never followed the procedure you list.

My bigger concern is fumbling around with a lens while the sensor is open to dust and elements, so faster is better. Removing the TC, then swapping to the other lens, then remounting it while the sensor is there and open makes me nervous. I will usually set the lens to be mounted contact side up, loosen the cap, remove the current lens with the camera facing down, set the current lens next to the desired lens, swap the cap over without tightening, then mount the desired lens. The camera remains facing down as much as possible and the entire process take seconds. Once the lens is on the camera I tighten the cap on the lens that was removed. If something is left unprotected, it's the lens. It's easier to remove dust from a lens than a sensor.

I guess if you do want to follow that procedure, I'd have a body cap handy to protect the sensor while you perform the other tasks.

Whatever is convenient for me. I always turn the camera off when switching lenses, but have never followed the procedure you list.

My bigger concern is fumbling around with a lens while the sensor is open to dust and elements, so faster is better. Removing the TC, then swapping to the other lens, then remounting it while the sensor is there and open makes me nervous. I will usually set the lens to be mounted contact side up, loosen the cap, remove the current lens with the camera facing down, set the current lens next to the desired lens, swap the cap over without tightening, then mount the desired lens. The camera remains facing down as much as possible and the entire process take seconds. Once the lens is on the camera I tighten the cap on the lens that was removed. If something is left unprotected, it's the lens. It's easier to remove dust from a lens than a sensor.

I guess if you do want to follow that procedure, I'd have a body cap handy to protect the sensor while you perform the other tasks.

I would use this procedure, but keep the tc on the body. To me it's an extra step, unless you were done with the tc

I would use this procedure, but keep the tc on the body. To me it's an extra step, unless you were done with the tc
That's what I meant, perhaps wasn't clear.

Yes - I always have body and rear caps available doing it at home (full of cat fluff...)
but I take two bodies when out and about in order to minimise having to do changes outdoors

This will be my first season at the track with two full-size bodies, so there won't be much lens changing. I hate changing lenses near the track, that blue smoke is rubber particles floating around in the air. Between that and unburned fuel, dust, etc. I sometimes wished I had a DSLR just for the protection from the mirror!

Last edited:
That's what I meant, perhaps wasn't clear.

This will be my first season at the track with two full-size bodies, so there won't be much lens changing. I hate changing lenses near the track, that blue smoke is rubber particles floating around in the air. Between that and unburned fuel, dust, etc. I sometimes wished I had a DSLR just for the protection from the mirror!
Really? My dSLR's have always required way more sensor cleaning than the mirrorless

Really? My dSLR's have always required way more sensor cleaning than the mirrorless
Wonder why? I always had better luck with a mirror to collect the junk before it landed on the sensor. From what I've heard Sony's are notoriously bad for collecting dust. Not sure why, but I reckon I'm fixin' to find out!

My A7 IV has a feature that can close the shutter when the camera is powered off. I have it disabled though, the shutter is so fragile they warn you to not even blow on it to remove dust. :hmmm:That's scary, I think I'd rather clean a sensor. Another warning is that because the shutter is black you can't leave the lens cover off and the camera pointing toward the sun, or the lens could magnify the rays and set the shutter on fire. 🔥I am not kidding, that's real. Funny because I thought closing the shutter on power down was a cool feature when I first bought the camera, now I'm afraid to use it! :hide:

Last edited:
If you think about it, DSLR's have that mirror flapping about every time you take a shot. That is far more air movement than a mirrorless sensor sees, even changing lenses.

I had to learn about keeping the lens cap 'on' when using my Leica, or keeping the lens pointed down so it wouldn't get hit by the sun. Now remembering to take the lens cap off when shooting an image is/was a whole other ball game. That was another learning experience.

Back