Fuji Checking Firmware Verison on X-A1

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Just got my $200 brand-new-in-box X-A1 over the weekend. I realize it must be me, but I can't see a way to check the firmware version that the camera is currently running - and see no reference to it in the manual. Is it inside of the card format option? If so, that would make sense. I didn't have card in the camera when I was playing with it and the option was greyed out.

Also, have we definitely decided whether one must update firmware in the Fuji X cameras without skipping any versions (a la Olympus) or can one just jump to the latest and have it include everything that came before it (al la Ricoh/Pentax)?

Just got my $200 brand-new-in-box X-A1 over the weekend. I realize it must be me, but I can't see a way to check the firmware version that the camera is currently running - and see no reference to it in the manual. Is it inside of the card format option? If so, that would make sense. I didn't have card in the camera when I was playing with it and the option was greyed out.

Also, have we definitely decided whether one must update firmware in the Fuji X cameras without skipping any versions (a la Olympus) or can one just jump to the latest and have it include everything that came before it (al la Ricoh/Pentax)?

I don't have an X-A1, but if Fuji are consistent across models, then checking the current firmware version is done by pressing and holding the DISP/BACK button, and then switching the camera on. Updates are carried out from the same screen also.

Updates can be be carried out jumping straight to the latest version i.e. skipping previous ones (again presuming consistency across models).

Hope this helps.

I don't have an X-A1, but if Fuji are consistent across models, then checking the current firmware version is done by pressing and holding the DISP/BACK button, and then switching the camera on. Updates are carried out from the same screen also.

Updates can be be carried out jumping straight to the latest version i.e. skipping previous ones (again presuming consistency across models).

Hope this helps.

Yes, that's exactly how you check it. My X-A1 had the original version: 1.00. I updated directly to 1.20, which basically provides support to some lenses I don't own. But I generally try to keep firmware up-to-date.

BB: I just acquired the X-A1 body in a deal not quite as lucrative as the OP but close. I've put the 27mm pancake on it to make it fit in a small belt case. Results so far are only so-so, but I haven't really given it a fair test. I do like the tilting LCD, though - the range of motion of my old body makes it a godsend. ;)

Thanks for your input, Chuck - the tilting screen has always appealed to me. I've only ever used one camera (a NEX of some sort) for one walk I took once but loved the tilt screen. And thank you Bill for the link to your photos - looking mighty good!

I keep thinking I might need a telephoto or zoom lens out here in the country.:2thumbs:

Thanks for your input, Chuck - the tilting screen has always appealed to me. I've only ever used one camera (a NEX of some sort) for one walk I took once but loved the tilt screen. And thank you Bill for the link to your photos - looking mighty good!

I keep thinking I might need a telephoto or zoom lens out here in the country.:2thumbs:

Well, if you decide you do, BB, Fuji's XC 50-230mm f/4.5-6.7 is a fairly light telephoto lens intended for the X-A1/X-M1, even if it's a bit on the slow side. If fact, if you don't mind buying from overseas there are some fantastic deals on brand-new X-A1 body and two-lens combos...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-X-...431109?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2333c56a05

Back