Advice Wanted Chicago suggestions

DeeJayK

All-Pro
Name
Keith
I'm planning a quick getaway to Chicago with my family next week. We don't really have an agenda, just taking advantage of cheap airfare.

I haven't spent any time to speak of in the city of big shoulders, so I'm looking for suggestions for things to see and do. I'm interested particularly in photographic opportunities, but am open to hearing about events, tours, restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

- K

Your best bet for this time of year would be to head a little south of Chicago, like maybe Houston or New Orleans.
Weather actually looks pretty decent - mostly clear and highs in the mid-40s. Obviously Chicago won't be as warm as Cabo would, but here at home we don't get much real winter weather, so a few days of it will be fun.

- K

L
You're right about Route 66. I won't have a car on this trip, though, so probably won't get to far down that one.

- K
Likely some tourist trap markers that might be worth a pic or two.

Thanks to Depeche Mode and Chuck Berry an item on my personal bucket list is to go west one day and see in person where 66 starts and ends.

The fountain from the opening Married with Children credits is the Buckingham Fountain in Chicago.

... and doesn't Route 66 start in Chicago? 🤔

Weather actually looks pretty decent - mostly clear and highs in the mid-40s. Obviously Chicago won't be as warm as Cabo would, but here at home we don't get much real winter weather, so a few days of it will be fun.

- K
My dream road trip, maybe when I retire:

US 12 (Michigan Avenue) from Detroit across the northern tier to the west coast. Pick up the 101 and head south along the coast, find Route 66 in LA and bring it back East to Chicago, where I pick up US 12 again and come home. I'd want a good month and a hundred SD cards.

My wife had a business trip in February and I went with her and experienced the "Hawk" coming from Texas man it was cold but the museum and architecture and restaurants where awesome.

Photo Library - 0321.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wifelet photos - 019.jpg

I live in Indiana and, because our daughter lives in Chicago, frequently go there. It is a different place Summer-Winter, but there still is a great deal to do at any time.

46085876185_09b0a25257_h.jpg

Chicago through the Cloud Gate by UnderOpenWater, on Flickr
Cloud Gate, popularly known as The Bean

The Art Institute is nearby and it is great.

23930218201_31029bb77a_h.jpg

_IGP5841 by UnderOpenWater, on Flickr
Chicago Cultural Center
If the weather is not so much fun, consider an indoor Architectural Tour (they'll probably use the Pedway, which is a series of underground pedestrian passages, not creepy at all, that will take you from building to building). We've always used the Chicago Architecture Foundation, which does a very good job. Here is a link to their Tiffany Tour.

23384554214_ca30200524_o.jpg

_IGP4389 by UnderOpenWater, on Flickr

30129791157_c84faca42e_o.jpg

Buckingham Fountain, Chicago by UnderOpenWater, on Flickr

My advice, however, is to dress warmly. As my daughter said when she was in college there, everyone looks like they are semi-homeless in the winter. If you've piled loads of clothes on, you'll fit right in.

My Chicago Flickr album.

PS I see that I need to clean up the noise on the Buckingham Fountain photo. Old phone camera photo...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice.

Just spent way more time than is rational trying to figure out what gear to bring. Here's what I ended up shoving in my bag:

• Fuji X-H1 ("A" camera)
  • Panasonic GM5 ("B" camera)
  • Fuji lenses:
    • 16-80mm (24-120mm-e) f/4- daytime walkaround zoom
    • 23mm (~35mm-e) f/1.4 - evening/ indoor prime
  • M43 lenses:
    • P7-14mm (14-28mm-e) f/4 - daytime wide angle/ architecture option
    • Laowa 7.5mm (15mm-e) f/2 - evening/indoor wide prime
    • P15mm (30mm-e) f/1.7 - evening "normal" prime
Everything but the F23mm fits in my little Ona Bowery bag.

This kit is heavily weighted to wide and ultra wide angle lenses because I envision shooting a lot of architecture and I don't plan to shoot any wildlife or other things I'd want more than 120mm-e for.

Let me know what you think of these choices.

- K

Back