1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Choice of Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Marruk8865, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I have several memory cards (SD) but I do not know if these cards are also suitable for use with the Nex-5 movie option. The cards that I have: 16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 4 and Class 4 16GB Sandisk VideoHD. These are 15MB / s.

I doubt if I should switch to the Class 6 ExtremeHD Video (20mb / s)
    So far I have only made short films and thus no problems detected. But I do not know if it makes a difference with longer movies or burst shooting. Class 4 cards would then also be sufficient?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    The consensus is Class 6 or better for video. I use a Class 10. With burst shooting the camera internal buffer will often be the limiting factor.

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I think what I've read is Class 4 is the absolute minimum but I agree with bilsmale, the feedback I've received from others is at least Class 6 or higher. I personally go for Class 10 just to be on the safe side, even if it's overkill.

4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I use a Class 10 8gb Panasonic "Gold". Works very well on my NEX3.

5. djnww

djnww Rookie

Nov 20, 2010
    Agree with everyone. Technically, Class 4 should be sufficient. I went with a Trascend Class 10 to be safe.

Cheers,
    Dan

6. mine

I personally have a class 6, 16GB, works well. I previously had a class 4, 8GB and upgraded for the larger space.

I personally see no speed difference between the class 4 and 6, although I have not shot a lot of movies, mostly pics.

7. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Regular

Dec 17, 2011
    I just picked up a 16 GB Sandisk Extreme SD-HC memory card. Any thoughts on this?
    -Bruce