Leica Choices

christilou

Legend
I shall be going to Miami on Friday and having to decide what camera/s to take . I should really bite the bullet and take the M with a back up but now I have the Sony 7R it's become a harder choice. I would probably be very happy with my RX1 as back up knowing it has the 35mm covered but I'm worried in case I mess up with the focusing/exposure using the M and regret relying on it in which case I should take the 7R and it's two native lenses and my 50mm summilux (I now have a 25mm Zeiss Biogon too but it's also a completely unknown quantity to me! This is keeping me awake at night! I'm looking on this trip as a do or die for the M as it'll be the first time I'll have some decent light to try it in since I got it in October, at the moment I'm not totally committed but when I look at my flickr page I see some nice pictures that I'm happy with and this keeps me coming back to it.

Neither are big cameras, taking both on this trip will help you decide if you use both cameras, or strongly favor one over the other. I've done that before, and the Leica won out over the mirrorless camera.

Angst. I cannot help. But the 25mm Biogon is in my top three lenses. I cannot think of a disappointment from it ever. I recommend not being afraid of your skill in focus or choice of exposure. If that fear is your main trouble, then just relax and take lots of pictures.

I would take the M with the 25 Biogon, and keep the 50 Lux in your purse or pocket. Make a decision of when to use each, and then really get to know it. Since the Biogon is new, that is what I would start with (I have a Leica Elmar 24 ASPH on the way and will do the same in Vegas next weekend). The 50mm is just in case you find that 25mm isn't your focal length or doesn't suit your location.

OK, so the three full-frame cameras ...

And you want to be sure to give the M a full workout, so that leaves the RX1 or the 7R as the backup.

I'd say 7R as the backup, more versatile should you just not get along with the M.

Now, on the M - be sure to leave your "catch any shot quickly" setup for it as a moderate wide-angle lens set for an F10 or so (something to guarantee being in focus), and use the lens guide marks to ensure your minimum distance being in focus out to infinitiy. Then just snap it like a point and shoot, really quickly.

For the shots where you want to take your time and compose, etc., no problem with manual focusing those.

Just my thoughts. Hope you have a great trip, and looking forward to seeing your pics!

Take the M and the two lenses. Zone focus at f8 for snaps. Alternatively, since I don't think (unfortunately) that either of your lenses are tabbed, you should therefore keep focus parked @ infinity and commit to muscle memory the short throw to 10-15'. Focus as you raise the camera to your eye. Take the shot. Refine focus and composition if you then have time.

The old-fashioned way, in other words.

Oh, and practice, practice, practice until your movements are subconscious and fluid, and the process of capture is second-nature.

Back