Chrome has gone dead

Name
Tim Williams
This is the third time it has done this. It will not respond to the usual fixes and refuses to open. I ran compatibility fixes but no go. I think this is a Windows issue as well so can't really lay all the grief on Google. Suggestions for a different browser . If it wont work, I'll replace it with something that will. My IT Dept. is in Europe for another 2 weeks. I have Mozilla and Edge. Not really comfortable with either yet.

They are; if you want (and can see yourself to use) Chrome without that kind of "big-brotherly" feeling, try SRWare Iron. But to be fully safe from being tracked and watched (and at times, being mined), you'll also have to refrain from using extensions ...

I have to admit to using Chrome instead, in spite of all reservations - I'm just so used to all the conveniences ...

M.

It does not fix anything, just gets me up and searching again. I can use edge butI have deeper issues with this newly built computer. While it definitely hauls, for some reason it crashes and does not like Google. These are issues for IT (son in law and Daughter ) to address when he returns from Europe ( he built it ). Plus I just don't like Edge. Using Firefox with DDG as a plugin at the moment.

Just FYI in case you've not heard or to give this thread some closure...both Facebook and Google had data center issues that affected such products as Facebook proper, Messenger, Gmail, Google Photos and some other services. I'm pretty sure that the servers that Chrome interfaces with were also affected.

This probably accounts for the issues that have been described here.

Not everyone was affected the same. for example. My gmail was fine, but my Google Photos had some hiccups. My wife was having facebook issues, but I was not.

My go-to browsers are Opera and Vivaldi. Been using Opera for years, when it had stuff other browser didn't. Now I'm just comfortable with it. And definitely duck duck go. Opera has a built in VPN that you can switch on and choose the general world location of the server. I don't use it much, but it's nice to know it's there.

Back