Chrome OS Chromebook, yes or no ?

Oh my. Talk about cans of worms.
*shuts up now*

It's true.

I'm actually excited about the cool things Google produces - great search, Gmail, Android etc. I suppose I see another side that I find, well, creepy. More specifically, I find Eric Schmidt creepy with regards to information and privacy. Which I suppose is my main point - your information is essential to Google. It is Google, and Schmidt has made it clear what he thinks about that.

I'm just thinking aloud here, so if I'm totally wrong, someone please tell me.

This post has nothing to do with religion and barely anything to do with politics, but I think the tone of the discussion is not too dissimilar. I have personal opinions about some of the stuff you're discussing, but I'm not emotionally invested in those opinions. I don't really have a horse in this race. But just reading about how passionate people are about it and seeing people getting emotional makes me think that Apple/Microsoft/Google topics should..........

I think banning them like religious discussion, or political threads doesn't help when the OP has a very legitimate question (and one I had pondered myself). I come here for tech help because I trust the opinions of the tech oriented people who gather here. And I appreciate the usual peace and calm that reigns here.

So maybe everyone can just be a little more cautious with topics like these. I get stressed out when people get overly excited. Try to remember that others will not share your opinion.

That was kind of a long-winded nanny-ish post. Just ignore it.....but take some it to heart.

Well, honestly, right back at you in terms of being generous. It's not a question of whether or not Google would sell the data - they do sell it. The advertising you tout is based on detailed tracking and is thus sold to advertisers.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding about Google advertising. Google does not sell your personal data to advertisers. You can read Google's plain language privacy policy here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners -- like publishers, advertisers or connected sites.

Note the section on "Transparency and Choice". Apple has nothing like that. But don't take my word for it. Apple's privacy policy is here: Privacy

We also use personal information to help us develop, deliver, and improve our products, services, content, and advertising.

At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers... Personal information will only be shared by Apple to provide or improve our products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.

The real bottom line is that those privacy policies say very similar things. Apple is in the advertising business, just like Google. They are using your information to show you ads in a way that makes them money, just like Google.

For a way in which they differ, see DataLiberation.org.

The Data Liberation Front is an engineering team at Google whose singular goal is to make it easier for users to move their data in and out of Google products. We do this because we believe that you should be able to export any data that you create in (or import into) a product. We help and consult other engineering teams within Google on how to "liberate" their products. This is our mission statement:

Users should be able to control the data they store in any of Google's products. Our team's goal is to make it easier to move data in and out.

Pretty much the opposite of Apple's lock-you-in approach.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding about Google advertising. Google does not sell your personal data to advertisers. You can read Google's plain language privacy policy here: Privacy Policy – Policies & Principles – Google

Note the section on "Transparency and Choice". Apple has nothing like that. But don't take my word for it. Apple's privacy policy is here: Apple - Apple Customer Privacy Policy

The real bottom line is that those privacy policies say very similar things. Apple is in the advertising business, just like Google. They are using your information to show you ads in a way that makes them money, just like Google.

For a way in which they differ, see DataLiberation.org.

Pretty much the opposite of Apple's lock-you-in approach.

We will have to accept different views here. One thing I don't have is any fundamental misunderstanding of Google's advertising. I work with them every day. My view is that you are shockingly naive about their intent.

Quoting Google's current terms does nothing to clear up their purposes. Their actions speak loud and clear.

In addition, to compare the two company's positions as being alike in advertising is simply far from fact.

Well, perhaps we're seeing some signs of civility (albeit coerced ones).

I think everyone should read post #44 again (not because it's mine, but because I think in the heat of the moment, people glazed over it)

People don't come to camera forums to watch people fight over which company is more evil.

Apple sucks. Google is Evil. And Microsoft is just effing sad.

Is that OK? In my post....everyone's favorite took one to the chin. Don't worry about who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks Luke for re-opening my thread!

Here I start again:
Any Chromebook users/fans here?
Can Chromebook on- and offline be used?
Which apps you recommend?

Do look forward hearing from you again, thanks!

Kind regards, Herman

The thing is, ChromeOS *is* a Linux distro IIRC. It shouldnt be too difficult to install the Linux of choice, if the hardware allows it. (Linux of various kinds being a bit picky about what they will work with).

Does Chromebook have a USB port? If so, there's the install possibility.

The thing is, ChromeOS *is* a Linux distro IIRC. It shouldnt be too difficult to install the Linux of choice, if the hardware allows it. (Linux of various kinds being a bit picky about what they will work with).

Does Chromebook have a USB port? If so, there's the install possibility.

mine has 3 USB 2.0 and one SD card slot, one HDMII port and one ethernet port/
I hear there may be a special bios that needs to be circumvented

In answer to the OP question, i rather like mine as is.
It is light, fast and very usable.
I have not tried it much offline so cannot comment on this part.
Same with apps.
I just USE it

Back