Cincy zoo with my X-E1 and XF 55-200

Mikey

Veteran
Decided to put the 55-200 to the test on a recent trip to the local zoo. I was there for just about 3 hours but came home with quite a few keepers. The bokeh + subject isolation is much better than any of the longer micro four thirds telephoto options though admittedly the AF would hunt at times with indoor shots.

Just wanted to share here those zoo shots. I LOVE this lens and can't wait to go back to the zoo this weekend. :dance4:

_DSF0466-L.jpg

_DSF0468-L.jpg

_DSF0469-L.jpg

_DSF1043-L.jpg

_DSF0470-L.jpg

_DSF1047-L.jpg

_DSF1046-L.jpg

_DSF1056-L.jpg

I love that silverback at the Cincy Zoo. I haven't been down there this year, and probably won't make it until next year, (we haven't even made it to the Cbus zoo this year, and we're members!). This isn't a Fuji shot, but I feel it's somewhat appropriate given you have a picture of the same gorilla...

This from two years ago with the Panasonic GH2 and Oly 40-150:
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2297&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And another (but I think a different gorilla): I took this about 3 years ago, before I switched to mirrorless, with the Canon 1Ds II and 70-200/2.8 IS II and Canon 2x extender:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1995&g2_serialNumber=1.jpg

Nice! I like the Iguana the best out of the set (y)

The owl shot is really cool, but the red/magenta color shift is a little distracting to me (I'm assuming red/heated lamps or something?). A WB shift or conversion to black and white would be cool, it's a good expression and nice close-in shot.

Thanks, Jay! Yup, there was a purple light whose reflection I tried so hard to avoid catching in the photo. I'll go back and play around with the WB. The WB here was on auto. If this was the OM-D, I would've had to manually fix the WB. Since picking up the Fuji, I haven't had to (but I guess I should here).

The Fuji is just awesome for b&w. The color version of the Komodo dragon was almost a throwaway but looked great in b&w.

Thanks for sharing your shots, btw :)

I wasn't interested in the 55-200 at first but after shooting the 60mm a whole bunch last weekend I decided I would really like to try a longer tele on the Fuji system so I caved and put in an order for one yesterday morning. I usually use m4/3 for telephoto stuff but now I'm curious to see how I feel about one on the Fuji with the IQ, DoF, and AF differences between the systems.

Thanks, Bliss, Peter, and RT!!! RT, you're right, the 55-200 will be a big seller; In fact, right now, online demand is higher than supply so some are adding 50-100 usd to the MSRP. Others got lucky 'coz their local brick and mortar store carries 1 or 2 copies.

Feel free to browse thru the photos on my 2nd trip to the zoo with the 55-200 on my smugmug site... Cincinnati Zoo - mikeyhuang's Photos | SmugMug

I had a bit of a learning curve from using it the first go around but got much better shots on this last trip. Stunning lens indeed!!

Thanks for sharing your shots, btw :)

I wasn't interested in the 55-200 at first but after shooting the 60mm a whole bunch last weekend I decided I would really like to try a longer tele on the Fuji system so I caved and put in an order for one yesterday morning. I usually use m4/3 for telephoto stuff but now I'm curious to see how I feel about one on the Fuji with the IQ, DoF, and AF differences between the systems.

I am very happy with what my 55-200 delivered for the Relay for Life.

Gary

_DSF3994-L.jpg

Back