Cindy, the baby longhorn, taken with A33

texascbx

Veteran
Name
Ricky
p733705761-4.jpg
p85741742-4.jpg

These are wonderful, Ricky! I think Cindy has her mother's expression...definitely the nose and mouth, but perhaps her father's eyes? She is so sweet! I particularly like your third image - the starkness of the field is a wonderful backdrop for all of these animals...and the mother and child interaction is lovely.

The one you thought was going to ram me is a steer. He is pretty tame since I hand feed him molasses treats nearly every day. He comes up to me to see if I have some treats in my hand. He is like a slightly dangerous 1000 pound dog. The danger is more from startling him and being in his way when he freaks out. Daisy, the mother was pregnant when we bought her nine months ago. If you handle them regularly, they are pretty safe to be in the same area with you. The danger is getting so close they get frightened and instinct takes over and they wave their heads around while trying to run and that's when you can get your foot crushed by Daisy who weighs around 1200 pounds or they are so powerful you can get an arm or rib broken by the flailing horns.

I don't let Molly, the blind setter around the cows or horses because they are very interested in her, I think because of her color being red. She can't see anything and I'm afraid they might trample her. Gracey, the Siberian, likes to taunt them, which is also bad because they are so unpredictable. And longhorns hate dogs and will let them come right up to them and then trample them. I've been warned about letting a dog get in stomping distance of a longhorn. I've watched the cowdogs work and they run around the legs of the cow and bite them on the legs when they don't go in the direction the dog wants them to go and I can understand why they hate a dog. The only way for a 50 pound dog to get a 1200 pound cow to go in the direction it wants is to get in it's way and bite at the cows legs without getting trampled. It's very interesting to watch the dog's acrobatics to keep from getting killed while doing what it instinctively does.

A few shots of Jewel

Jewel the cowdog, doing what she was trained to do. Jewel belongs to my friend Jarrod.

p800678328-4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p831338389-4.jpg

p672570655-4.jpg

The dog is very acrobatic!
p637054333-4.jpg

p42490377-4.jpg

Love it! Are you in the TX hill country? (I am.) A few days ago I was shooting some longhorns in Johnson City who were inside a cedar rail fence. The bull was close to the fence and apparently he doesn't like cameras snapping, even though I wasn't using flash. He came over and rammed the fence right where I was HARD with those giant horns. I was really glad I wasn't hanging over the fence! I moved away a few feet and kept on shooting but he came over to me got ready to ram the fence again, so I moved away and let him cool down. I fear someone has teased him in the past.

I missed the updated shots with your dog - those are wonderful. Great action captures which, from my few days with the A33, don't surprise me in the least. I could almost guess which ones are from the Sony and which are from the G1...

-Ray