Fuji Clarification on X-Pro2 DR Settings

Having read through the X-Pro2 First Look, I'm a little confused on something. Rico makes the statement that seems to imply the DR settings are "burned into" the raw files. Is this true for all ISO's or just those above 1600?

What I'm wondering is if you wanted to capture raws with maximum DR you need to leave the camera set to DR400 all the time regardless of ISO? Or did I misunderstand something?

I have seen a couple reviews that state the X-Pro2 has less DR than the X-T1 and I wonder if a less than perfect understanding of how the DR functions works in the X-Pro2 might have been the cause?

Keith

There's no DR setting "burned" into anything. The DR settings are part of the RAW metadata, also known as the Fujifilm Maker Notes. EXIFtool can read those notes, so you can view them on Flickr in my SOOC samples, because Flickr uses EXIFtool to display embedded EXIF information.

The DR function works like in all other Fujifilm models.

ISO is now burned into the RAW for all ISO settings, at least up to 25600. So that is new. Of course, this means that RAWs beyond ISO 1600 have less DR (in DR100% mode) than in previews models, where ISO amplification beyond 1600 isn't burned into the RAW data but handled by the RAW converter. Practically, it makes little difference, though, assuming that users know how to expose and how to use the DR function as an insurance against overexposure.

Of course, this means that RAWs beyond ISO 1600 have less DR (in DR100% mode) than in previews models, where ISO amplification beyond 1600 isn't burned into the RAW data but handled by the RAW converter.

This is what I was attempting to refer to. I'm inferring from this that the gain for ISO beyond 1600 is "baked into" the raw on the X-Pro2. I'm also assuming from your reply that ISO 200-1600 behaves as before, where the gain is supplied by the raw converter. In other words, an X-Pro2 raw file at ISO 800 will look the same in LR regardless of the DR setting in camera. I am also assuming that is not the case for ISO > 1600.

Sorry if I'm being dense or not communicating accurately.

ISO 200-1600 behaves as usual, ISO is baked into the RAW. Extended ISO 100 now, as well.

Obviously, RAWs with DR settings greater than 100% remain different. Nothing changes here. DR expansion works like before and as explained in my books and blog entries. Nothing new to learn.

Gain is now provided by the camera and baked into the RAW for all ISO settings (at least up to ISO 25600). That makes sense given the incompetence/laziness that many RAW converter makers have displayed in fully supporting Fujifilm RAFs. Since not even Adobe is able to provide competent support, Fujifilm is trying to minimize the potential of RAW converter makers to mess things up, so they bake ISO gain into the RAW files instead of trusting that RAW converter makers are able to perform a half-decent job in applying the correct gain themselves.

It's also a useful way to offer accurate RAW support for extended ISO settings, as few converter makers would be able to figure out how to correctly and automatically apply/calibrate gain for more than 2 EV in import. After all, ISO 51200 would require a gain of 5 EV based on ISO 1600 RAW data. That's steep, and since Adobe is already mismatching a gain of 2 EV by about 0.06 EV, this mismatch would just add up. So Fujifilm is better off applying their own (correct) gain before they write the RAW data.

Back