Leica Classic Rangefinder Cameras are High Fashion

Brian

Product of the Fifties
JoS. A. Bank Veterans Day Sale TV Commercial, 'Suits, Sportcoats and Sweaters'

It turns out that Kodak Retina cameras are the real fashion statement these days. This guy is using a Kodak Auto III. Now if he were really cool, he would have a folder- a Kodak Retina IIIC. remember- a Good Selenium cell Meter lasts forever. The actor in the commercial even checks the shutter speed, uses the focus tab, and shutter release on the right side of the lens.

Last edited:
"... even checks the shutter speed, uses the focus tab, and shutter release on the right side of the lens."

We can probably thank the cameraman of the shoot. "No, no, no, that's all wrong. Let's practice, do the following ..."

(Kodak Retina Auto III, ~2001. Nikki's Winnie the Pooh tree hugging phase)

I'll bet he did the commercial just to use the camera...

The Schneider Xenar on it is good. But... The Xenar Special 5-element that I converted to Leica mount is better.

I've seen some classic camera used in ads and commercials of late.

Last edited:
The Capital Gang...

IB, IIC, and IIIC. The most rare of the Kodak Folders, together again. After a lot of time on my workbench. The 1B and IIC- very uncommon, not often seen. The IIIC- last of the Kodak Folders. The meters are accurate- a good Selenium Meter last forever, like a Polyester suit...

36986795675_09d15c6e42_b.jpg
Capital_Gang
by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The 1B- easy fix, flood clean the shutter and clean the finder. IIC- a friend gave it to me for doing some repair work for him. I just replaced the shutter cocking rack, pulled the gear from a parts camera. I also have 1 new one, bought from Microtools for $25. You can still buy them, they are subject to breaking. The IIIC- just arrived today, was missing the front element. I had a spare. Total investment... $100, and a lot of time and learning.

Last edited:
The 50/2.8 Xenon is very sharp. I had the IIc, sold it after getting the IIC... I also have the IIIc which has the 50/2.0 Xenon. And a Ib with the 50/2.8 Xenar- picked up at a camera show for $10, needed some work. Popping the top and cleaning the finder is very easy on these, getting the releases lined back up is a trick. Chris Sherlock has the best site for working on Retinas. I used his rubber band trick to hold things in place while replacing the rack. Brilliant. I have a fairly decent collection of Retina cameras, 20 or so- many picked up needing some repair. One of the forum members of the old Nelsonfoto sent me a box of them, wanting two working ones out of them and told me to keep the rest.

I can put a 35/5.6 on one and the 80/4 on another....

I can pull out the IIIS trio and do 28/50/85. The 90/4 Tele-Arton does not have RF coupling.

Back