Leica cleaning the aperture ring on a M mount

aaronz28

Regular
I recently bought an M3 and am putting it back in loving service -
the aperture ring is very very very sticky and slow - guessing a previous owner tried oiling it with something they shouldn't have had...

is there a safe and reliable way for me to clean this? i have access to the small screwdrivers and such - but am basically a novice with the equipment

i probably should send the whole rig in for a clean and adjustment - but i have no idea who to trust for this...

thanks in advance
Aaron

I would not advise taking the lens apart if you have never done one before, this is an expensive lens to learn on. I learned by taking apart a lot of junk lenses. If someone improperly lubed the lens, it can get into the glass. If this is the case, it is worth sending in for a cleaning. Youxin Ye is reasonable for service, I have used him for many Leica body services.

YYeCAMERA Service Price

Now- if it is just grime around the aperture ring, I have used Isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip to remove and free things up. I had a Canon 50/1.4 RF lens that just had grime work it's way into the aperture. I just dampended the Q-Tip, worked the aperture ring, wiped the grime away. Feel free to post a picture of the lens.

and to add, Sherry is one of the best in the world.

It's worth "about" $200~$250 or so, maybe a bit more. Optically it's the same as the 90/4 Coated M-Mount non-collapsible. It cannot be collapsed on the Digital Leica M cameras. Some places try to get much more as it is uncommon, compared with the non-collapsible.

Before you sell it, use it. The nice thing about the 90mm focal length: it still focuses to 3ft, but you get a much closer view. It's a great and under-appreciated lens. I sold my Thin-Elmarit 90/2.8 and kept this lens.

With mine, wide-open on the M8.

attachment.php

attachment.php

the colors are more subtle with the 1950s glass.

Back