Documentary Clearing a fallen tree

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
A couple of days ago I found out that Graham, my landlord, was about to tackle the fallen bough of an Ash tree that had rotted out where it joined the main tree and fallen across the farm track. So with tools, chainsaw and tractor he set to work. You'll have to turn a blind eye to the flouting of basic safety, for example the lack of chainsaw gloves, boots and face visor, so don't follow his example at home!

210710-1130022.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Preparing to use the John Deere to drag the whole bough to a safer position, i.e. on the ground where possible. It's not good to tackle a tree that's hung up.

210710-1130025.JPG

That's rather safer. The main farm track is where Graham is standing, the track to the right leads up to the ancient slate quarry known as Cleavehouse Quarry which was worked for roofing and flooring slates for about 400 years. Slate went from here to re-roof Windsor Castle and for Mont St Michel in France amongst other places.

210710-1130027.JPG

It's still got some way to go before it's truly safe, so Graham sets about removing the lower end so that the rest of the trunk will topple down the bank.

210710-1130028.JPG

With it further down on the ground work can begin to cut it up into sections.

210710-1130029.JPG

The lowest section has been dragged clear of the work area.

210710-1130031.JPG

Now the lengthy business of reducing it to manageable lengths so the track can be cleared.

Barrie

Back