1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

clearing up my computer

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Luke, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I am a Luddite. Somewhere around 5 years ago (or maybe more), I stopped caring about technology. But I'm not for the morgue yet. So while downloading a file from an email, I saw a graphic that said I was using 185 GB of my hard drive and had 15GB left.

Frankly I am shocked.....I have not had this computer very long....and I don't have my music collection on here.....and I'm fairly certain I don't have all of my photos on here (although I definitely have a good chunk of them).

What I would like to do is figure out WHAT I have on here.....and where it is. So I can just move it all to a couple different hard drives for redundancy and then delete them so my computer is like a blank slate.

And please speak slowly.....I am dumb as a board when it comes to computers.

2. BrianS

BrianS Super Moderator Moderators Team

Apr 3, 2013
    Before deleting anything, I would run a "Stand-Alone-Backup". I use Macrium Reflect, free version. Download the software, you will make this into a "Bootable" CD or DVD. Plug a USB drive in big enough to make a copy of the Hard Drive, you will need enough free space on the backup drive as using now: 185GBytes. If ANYTHING goes wrong, you have a complete check-point that can be restored to your computer drive. Easier and faster than the 8" floppy on a Vax.

I do this "a lot". I keep redundant computers, mostly Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 and CF-53. They have a caddy for the hard-drive, so I can keep a complete system disk in the case - "just in case".

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Moderators Team

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Are you on Mac or Windows?

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderators Team

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Windows

5. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Administrator

Nov 3, 2018
    Pennsylvania, USA
    To find out the what & where questions, check out the free WizTree app. Point it to your C:\ drive and it'll allow you to quickly see what folders are taking up the most space and then you can drill down to each folder as needed/wanted to see what is actually on the drive taking up the space.

Antibody Software - WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive

Just be careful whacking a file unless you're absolutely sure you know what it is. Several of the Windows operating system file can eat a large amount of hard drive (like pagefile.sys & others). Don't kill them unless you're darn sure you're ready to play around trying to do a system recovery. ;)  If you're not sure follow-up with the file name(s) in this thread and I'm sure somebody can point you in the direction of what the file(s) might be.

When downloading WizTree I like the 'portable app' version instead of using the installer version. That way you can download the app, unzip it to a thumbdrive or similar, and run it instantly which makes life easier (in general I prefer portable apps over the installer versions).

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Piano

Piano Regular

Nov 28, 2016
    Nigel
    There also may be a lot of unneccesary files on your PC and you may be able to free some space up. If you're on W10 it's under storage somewhere I think. I personally use CCleaner free version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1