• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum for photographers and camera enthusiasts!
    If you are looking for critique, tips, advice, buying recommendations, or just want to talk to fellow enthusiasts then join now for free!

Canon Coche de los Muertos (Car of the Dead)

So, I go for a walk downtown in the small Oregon town where I live, walking down to the Post Office to mail a letter. And just before I get there, I see...an amazing old car. Parked by an old house. Not going anywhere.

In Mexico, traditionally, instead of celebrating Halloween, or All-Saints Day, Día de los Muertos - the Day of the Dead - is celebrated on November 2. A day when the dead come back to earth to mingle with the living, to party and eat and enjoy the company of the warm-blooded they have left behind. Mexican folk art is filled with wonderful drawings, paintings and sculptures of Las Calaveras - the skeleton dead people who inhabit the other world - aka los Muertos, or 'the Dead'. And, obviously, honoring the Dead is not just limited to México - because this coche (the Spanish word for 'car') that I saw, sitting parked in a small Oregon town -

Was a living automotive Art Gallery of Día de los Muertos. So, obviously, it is a Coche de los Muertos -

And since I had my semi-pocketable Canon G1x Mk3 with me (tucked inside my semi-pocket) --- I had to take a few photos - and once I started, it was hard to stop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had to get a little closer ...

Finally coming all the way around in front. The 24mm FOV equivalent wide-angle end of the zoom on my G1x3 somehow seemed just right -

The more you look at it, the more you want to start dancing -

- or swimming -

It's a very old car. Not just a Coche de los Muertos - but a semi-muerto Coche in its own right.

And, really - ¿who knew that Calaveras liked the ocean dwellers so much?

When I was done photographing, I learned a thing or three. Including that los Muertos - and their cars - have their own Code of behavior to live up to. Even if it's only for one long day - and longer night - every year.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom