Codec

Yeshwant

I've had the RX 100 for several years now. Recently after our visit to Europe, where we took a lot of pictures and videos, I find that I cannot transfer the photos to my computer (Pictures, Picassa or Google Photos). I downloaded the files (AVF_INFO, BDMV AVIN0001 which were not created or named by me ) on my PC. But when I try to open the file the computer says " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file". There are three other files
I have not faced this problem before.
Can I get help on this one? Thanks.

The photos are usually in a DCIM folder - so those should be readable by built-in Windows applications like Photo Viewer assuming they're JPGs. If you shot RAW, it's possible they could read it too, but the Windows CODEC may need to be updated. This is the link that integrates the CODEC into Windows Explorer so you can read them transparently.

Sony RAW Driver Download | SONY

As for the videos - it's been sort of hit or miss - I shot a couple on my HX-80 but it's now with one of my kids so I can't experiment with that. I think you're looking for either AVI or MP4 files - for those I use a variety of options, but VLC is one of those free utilities I've used for years that can play almost any media file I've thrown at it.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

The photos are usually in a DCIM folder - so those should be readable by built-in Windows applications like Photo Viewer assuming they're JPGs. If you shot RAW, it's possible they could read it too, but the Windows CODEC may need to be updated. This is the link that integrates the CODEC into Windows Explorer so you can read them transparently.

Sony RAW Driver Download | SONY

As for the videos - it's been sort of hit or miss - I shot a couple on my HX-80 but it's now with one of my kids so I can't experiment with that. I think you're looking for either AVI or MP4 files - for those I use a variety of options, but VLC is one of those free utilities I've used for years that can play almost any media file I've thrown at it.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN
Thank you, Covey22. Will let you know as soon as I am able to get the things sorted out. Ciao!

Back