Film Color Filter for Mono Film Question

Name
Andrew
I just got a YA2 orange filter which I'm planning on putting on my Ricoh 500G with HP5. I'm finding conflicting advice online as to whether I should change my exposure to compensate for the filter. Since the camera meters inside of the filter rings, common sense tells me it will automatically adjust to the effect of the filter on exposure. I think this orange filter is light enough not to confuse the meter too much. However Ilford recommends I adjust by a stop to compensate for the effect of the filter - by this I assume they mean the difference in tones throughout the image, not the effect on exposure. Anyone have an opinion? Should I shoot at box speed, or adjust ASA down to overexpose somewhat? Will the meter handle the filter alright? I think HP5 is flexible enough that it will handle things without too much trouble, but I'm new to using "real" color filters.

I find it necessary to adjust about 1/2 stop for an Orange O56 filter on the M Monochrom- difference in spectral sensitivity of the Meter and the Sensor. The same is likely true of film- the CDS cell is a bit different from the film. I'd experiment for the first roll, would dial it 1/2 stop shoot ISO400 closer to ISO250.

Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards doing. I tossed in the idea of just pushing the film a little bit in processing. I'm guessing the difference would be grainier results from pushing essentially underexposed film, versus more correct exposure (but slower shutter speed/larger aperture) from lowering the ASA. Would that be the essential difference?

Not too shabby results shooting HP5 at 320 ISO and developing normally! Thanks @BrianS for the advice. Note that I'm still working with a poor quality scanner, my Epson V550 gets here Wed, at which time I will be devoting some major time to serious film scanning.

(EDIT: See better scans below)

Last edited:
img031-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

img056-3.jpg

48757383048_dd66d686d1_b.jpg
img042-2 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

48767712231_3f22f545ef_b.jpg
img053-2 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

48767920397_00926d581e_b.jpg
img048-2 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Back