Critique Wanted Color or B & W

Agree. Definitely B&W. The colour of the sand doesn't add anything but the contrast in the posts running through the BW image is really striking.

Second Example:

20101101_165256-1.jpg

Canon PowerShot G12, 30.5 @ f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 200

20101101_165256-2.jpg

Canon PowerShot G12, 30.5 @ f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 200

Which one would you choose?

For me, color for the first one and in black and white for the second. In your first beauty, there's a lot more tonal range in the color version and I can see the delicate branches of the trees, which for me adds a great deal - plus that sunset is wonderful and worked out really well with the color hues. In the second, I think the colorful sunset detracts from the strong graphic silhouette and the church's steeple and cross stand out much more powerfully in the black and white version. I've cast my ballots and, in light of election day here in the states, I'm sticking with my votes! Both are really great, Christian.

On the sunset/rise photos.... I find that we as photographers take the shot for the colours alone... and therefore for me, its got to be colour every time. However, ironically I have to agree with BBW on the second one... quite effective....:confused:

Anyway.... cant make up my own mind to this one... the reds look good on the hat, shoes, and sign... but the B&W works for me as well.....:eek:

View attachment 30540 View attachment 30541

Mal, I'm so glad to see you around the different threads this evening. I just got home after a long day and am too tired to follow-up on everyone's posts but I can give you my instant reaction here. It's easy for me - the color version has more impact because of the color in this shot. The fellow's red hat, matching sneaker laces, the sign in the back left, as well as what looks like a red handle - a strip of red - on what may be someone's bag back there on the right really make one's eye travel but never out of the scene. Add in those two pink spots and I just think that this photo is more about the colors and bright happiness of the scene. Yes, the people are important and certainly the young lady's smiling face....her boyfriend's gaze at her, but for me it is the colors that make it work so well. So there you go, my gut reaction. They're happy, in love and the colors emphasize their youth and vitality.:love:

As an aside I think street photography is generally very difficult. If one is looking for the decisive moment, you have to be ready to see it and cannot hesitate. Naturally, I'm speaking from my own personal point of view. I really have almost never done it. I suppose I do a related sort but I do it either with my family and friends or people I know slightly... It has been a long time since I've gone out "hunting" on the streets where I'm photographing people I don't know at all.

Thanks for this one and for posting it in both black and white and color. It's helpful sometimes just to see them side by side in a different venue.

Because this site loves the B&W, I converted this just for kicks ... now I can't decide which I like

DSC01974-1-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01974-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On the sunsets I'm going wit the crowd - colour for the first one, B&W for the second.

On the happy couple I can't decide. I find the red sign in the background very distracting in the colour version but while B&W works for her he seems to disappear into the background. Perhaps for me the best option is colour but with the sign desaturated.

On the water sparkle I'm also undecided but leaning towards colour because I think the large area of foreground is more striking in the colour version.

Thanks for the comments BB and Olli, the red color (from the silicone spatula) was a key part of my plan and the water drop was something I've always admired in other shots. I was pleasantly surprised by the reflections of the kitchen pot lights in the water droplet. At first view, I was quite happy with the bold color and water drop as they were the planned key elements. But then taking out the color left the focus on the water drop creating a sole focal point and a different mood (for me at least).

The macro path has turned out to be an interesting diversion along my photo journey. I have a lot to learn but that's what makes it fun :)

Kevin, I do see what you mean about the B&W version. Have you tried a different style of crop on that version? Not saying you should, just asking. I wonder if it could possibly increase the focus on the details, if you did. I'm just rambling but I know for myself with some pictures I try the 1:1 square vs the 16:9 to see what I think.

I've just brought this very worth while thread in from the broader Photographic Technique forum...where I think it's been missing in action for a while. Take a look through and see what you think. If you care to comment about someone's photo from earlier on in this thread - please use the option to "Reply With Quote" since this is an old thread...and it could get confusing. (You can edit your quoted portion to only include the image in question, etc.)

I, too, sometimes find that I'm torn between color and black and white with certain photos. I actually created a set on Flickr for myself and it's interesting to see and read reactions from Flickr photo pals - some of whom are pals right here, too.

Here are two versions one in black and white, the other in color. I'd be interested in your reactions based upon which version works best for you - black and white or color?

5661086091_b17b537c7d_b.jpg

LX5

5661653754_6c1e54f6dd_b.png

LX5

I, too, sometimes find that I'm torn between color and black and white with certain photos. I actually created a set on Flickr for myself and it's interesting to see and read reactions from Flickr photo pals - some of whom are pals right here, too.

Here are two versions one in black and white, the other in color. I'd be interested in your reactions based upon which version works best for you - black and white or color?

BB, the texture in the bricks just cries out for B&W, so I give that one my vote.

Thanks for your input, Nic - and you, too, Bill... Alas that "fuzz" was a drop of rain on my lens. It was raining slightly off and on and unfortunately I wasn't aware of the droplets...they were much worse on some other photos I took that day. I didn't mind it on this one, however.

@BB I definitely like the b&w better. There's more detail in the bricks, particularly in the background.

@Peter. In the first I like the b&w better partly because I like the crop better. In the second I prefer the colour because I think the contrast of colours between rocks and sky is what makes it work.

Peter, I'm very torn on your first choice because I think both are superb and each creates a very different feel to me. So I can't choose one or the other. Kathy's made a good point about the crop being different, too - so I'm going to use that as my other excuse. I really love the color tones in the first, but I also like the black and white image too, though for me it is much more surreal. I'd be happy to have a print of each, however.;)

As for your second photograph of the waves breaking, I like the color version the most because that for me it exudes more power and I like the realism of the surf crashing - that incredible blue green color feels integral to it - plus, the island shows up better to my eye and takes me out - and I feel like diving in to those waters.

Back