Color Color: Words/No Words

It's all in the fingering.

XT3_Oct26_22_accordionist#3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lovely photo. Where was it taken Andrew?
Hi @Charzes44 ,

Apologies for not replying sooner, just had broadband upgraded yesterday and they did not send out router until today😂.

It is Staithes in Yorkshire, once an artist colony and still a fishing community (although now reduced to smaller vessels and there are more holiday cottages available) and lies at the bottom of a fairly steep hill - must be lovely in icy conditions😁.

Last edited:
I love the perspective you chose ... nothing but the flow of music. The slightly vintage colouring makes it perfect.

Thank you, Walter.
I was trying to find a non-traditional angle which might communicate a little of what Andrew (the accordionist) was doing, and it wasn't easy. As a minor technical note, the colouring is actual an in-camera jpeg recipe which comes close to replicating some of the tones of the old Kodacolor 400 negative film (the same film, I believe, which was used extensively by Stephen Shore in his photographic travels across the North American continent). It (the ability to use in-camera jpeg film simulations or 'recipes') is one of the main reasons why I've become semi-addicted over the past few years to shooting with Fuji cameras.
I'm glad you liked the picture - and 'got' what I was striving for.

Partially inspired by Matt's (@MoonMind) recent acquisition of an oh-so-cool Nons SL660 instant camera, which uses the larger Instax square film format, I was motivated to dust off my Lomo Instant Automat Glass camera (which unlike the larger Nons SL660, uses the smaller rectangular format Fuji Instax Mini instant film packs). This shot was taken inside with available light, in my living room late at night (and scanned onto my iPhone using the scan feature of the Polaroid App).

Instax_photo_Geisha_mask.JPG

Moral of the story: the Lomo Instant Automat is a surprisingly cool (and fun to use) instant-film camera. Unlike the Fuji Neo (another great Instax camera), the Automat Glass (named because it shockingly possesses a lens made from 'real' glass...!) has a zone focus scale on the side of the lens. It's a bit tricky getting the focusing right, at first - but once you do, the camera really renders pleasingly.

Last edited:
Leaves of three,
Beware of me.

The three-leaved summer arrangement has dried up, but these are berries of a mature Poison Ivy Plant. Poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oily resin called urushiol. It's found in poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac; berries are nasty as well. I am constantly aware of these plants as the rash is very severe and long lasting on me, and can only be controlled with steroid injections.

1667659905021.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back