Color Color: Words/No Words

Leaves of three,
Beware of me.

The three-leaved summer arrangement has dried up, but these are berries of a mature Poison Ivy Plant. Poison ivy rash is caused by an allergic reaction to an oily resin called urushiol. It's found in poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac; berries are nasty as well. I am constantly aware of these plants as the rash is very severe and long lasting on me, and can only be controlled with steroid injections.

View attachment 346202
Interesting, John, and helpful, thanks for posting. I'd never have guessed that those berries could be a problem :unsure:

_1050070-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_1050069-2.jpg

Horsetail. This jointed grass can be used as an healing herbal remedy and also helps heal nature when used to stabilize sand dunes. It has a high silica content and actually feels gritty. Horsetail is derived from huge, tree-like plants that thrived 400 million years ago during the Paleozoic era, and is a close relative of ferns.

1667947447147.jpeg

@jbruce
Thanks for taking the time to discuss Horsetail grass. I enjoy comments about photos…especially as they may help understand why an image is important to the photographer posting it.
Horsetail grass looks like it’s quite related to bamboo, also a grass I believe. Is there a connection?
I'm not aware of any connection between the two, other than from the grass family and both jointed. Horsetail is a bit unique in that it absorbs enough silica from the soil to actually make a fairly good pot scrubber when dried.

Back