Colorado Fire

gordo

Hall of Famer
Name
Gordon
I've been following the fire in Colorado, NW of Denver, all evening. We have a handful of family members in the Denver metro area, thankfully none directly affected by the evacuations. Bad day for a lot of people there. Downed powerline sparking a grass fire, whipped up and driven by extremely high winds. Saw reports of at least one gust of 100+ mph.

Burned public buildings, businesses, homes. Entire subdivisions burned. Places so hot some of the law enforcement trying to make sure people were leaving reported the heat was blistering and melting the markings off their vehicles. Fire was moving across spaces the size of football fields in seconds. Last official report I saw was 580 homes destroyed, and it's been burning for hours since that report.

They're forecasted to start having some snow soon, so that should help calm it down. I haven't seen any word on injuries or deaths yet. I think the morning is going to be sobering. Hopefully there's no deaths.

Video from one of the Denver stations (a bit long):

Morning news conference ongoing right now. As of now, no deaths reported, 6 burn victims. That info may change (hopefully not) as time passes.

Drone video and photos are difficult to watch.

And it has started snowing in that area.

edit - current released numbers: at least 7 injuries including one first responder, currently investigating source, estimated 500-1000 homes destroyed, 1 hotel destroyed, unknown number of damaged buildings, a lot of power outages currently being worked to restore, some roads still closed, evacuated residents asked to stay out of the area until cleared to return.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything about a news conference today, so will only post what little official info I've run across. Will update when I see new official info.

Fire investigation continues. Downed powerlines were not found at the location determined to be the start point.

Avista Adventist Hospital in Louisville will remain closed indefinitely/ "for the foreseeable future" due to smoke damage and soot inside the hospital.

Thank you for the updates Gordo. Terrible tragedy.

Thanks. Yes it is. As bad as it is, it could have been much worse. So far, no loss of life, which is amazing considering the speed this thing traveled and how it jumped from place to place.

Probably the last update from me on this. The Boulder County Sherriff will be having a daily briefing until further notice. The Boulder County Office of Emergency Management website has updates as they are posted for anyone wanting to follow. Emergency Status

As of today:

Best estimate (not final yet) is 991 structures destroyed and 127 damaged between Louisville, Superior, and the unincorporated areas in Boulder County.

Three people missing.

Search warrant related to the fire investigation has been executed.

Back