Advice Wanted Colour profiles and JPEG settings

doobs

All-Pro
Name
Chris
Went to Oceanology in London in March, and this was parked on the quay behind the Excel center.

View attachment 317758

This was parked across the quay. Methinks it's merely an "icon" as this area was once a very active shipping facility. I've been going to Oceanology for some 10 years and this thing has been there the entire time along with a plethora of dock crane reproductions.

View attachment 317759

And then this thing was down a bit, obviously under overhaul:

View attachment 317760

Have a great day!

Seem these images look bit muddy posted here. They definitely aren't that way on any of my Windows boxes. Anyone else experience this?

cheers,

I have had that happen to me before. For me, it turned out to be the color profile I was using when exporting from Capture One. The fix was using sRGB. Something to check, anyway.

H'mmm. Interesting. I'll have to run some tests. Unfortunately, all my exported images use the same profile. :rolleyes:

Thanks
Chris, when my macros save images for upload, the last thing they do before saving is to convert the colour profile to sRGB.

I use ProPhotoRGB 16 for RAW file processing and output, and aRGB for in-camera JPEGs and processing.

The web mostly runs on sRGB, which is both deficient (too small a gamut) and defective (unequal colour axes).

Thanks. It would be easy enough to select a different profile, but I would have to re-export a whole bunch of photos.
My Photoshop macros make that process extremely painless, Chris.

They don't do anything much - just an USM to compensate for little to no in-camera sharpening, resize, frame and drop shadow, copyright notice, change colour profile to sRGB, then save with an "_eW" suffix added to the filename to my upload folder. Just saves a huge amount of repetitive work.

I use an FTP client to upload the processed files to my web site. Select the files and hit UPLOAD. Again, saves a lot of repetitive work.

I use Bridge and Photoshop. I could never get my mind around Lightroom.

doobs, I am also on C1 for Windows, take a look at output recipes. I have a few of them set up for various purposes, they are very capable and you can process multiple photos with a recipe. You can add a tool tab for them, or right click an image and pick "Export..." to get started. It is a huge timesaver, and the color profile is part of the recipe settings under "Export Format & Size". There are a few built-in, and you can modify them or create your own.

doobs, I am also on C1 for Windows, take a look at output recipes. I have a few of them set up for various purposes, they are very capable and you can process multiple photos with a recipe. You can add a tool tab for them, or right click an image and pick "Export..." to get started. It is a huge timesaver, and the color profile is part of the recipe settings under "Export Format & Size". There are a few built-in, and you can modify them or create your own.
Exactly correct. Maybe try exporting as .png and see whether that looks any better to you?
I output from C1 as jpg's and am happy with the resulting image display both here and elsewhere

Thanks. Had not found the color profile selection. All my images were exported with AdobeRGB.

In another thread someone suggested ProPhotoRGB 16, but my instance of C1 does not show that as an option.

What would be a better profile?

thanks

ProPhotoRGB 16 is the widest gamut available. It will render almost the entire (human) visible spectrum.

However, no monitors and very few printers can output as wide a gamut as this. I know that my Epson R3880 can print almost all of it.

aRGB is the safest gamut to edit in. ProPhotoRGB is the best, but you need to understand precisely what you are doing.

Below is a screen shot showing sRGB and ProPhotoRGB side by side. The PPRGB shot is colour correct. Shot was taken simultaneously in RAW + JPEG.

Ford%20Ute%20Mordialloc%20colour%20shift.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks. Had not found the color profile selection. All my images were exported with AdobeRGB.

In another thread someone suggested ProPhotoRGB 16, but my instance of C1 does not show that as an option.

thanks

The short answer is to use sRGB for images intended for display on a web site.

The longer answer... Color profiles and workflow management can get confusing, for me anyway. I will highlight a few things as I have them set up and understand them to work.
* On my Sony A7R3 I set file format to RAW with Adobe RGB as the color space (selectable in setup 1 page 2). This gives me the maxiumum amount of color gamut and other data in the captured image file. This might vary with the particular camera in use, but the idea is to capture as much data as possible.
* Based on your specific camera, C1 will automatically select a custom ICC color profile they create for the camera. You can override this in "Base Characteristics", but I suspect it is going to be best to leave this alone unless you have a specific reason and a fully color-managed workflow and calibrated devices. As John put it, "you need to understand precisely what you are doing".
* When you are ready to export an image(s), as discussed you can choose a color profile in the output recipe. This choice only affects the colors in the output file, and what you see in the viewer in the export window. (I do not think it affects the viewer seen when editing.) Different profiles can be useful depending on whether the image will be displayed, printed, etc. But generally speaking, for images intended for display on a web site, sRGB is going to be the safest choice simply because it is most likely to render correctly in a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). It's been around forever as a standard and generally will render consistent colors. The browsers all have quirks with anything other than sRGB in my testing a couple of years ago, which might be better now. Unless you know the device and browser your audience will use and how it will interact with a particular color profile, it is best to select sRGB. This is further validated by C1's default web-target recipes, which all select sRGB profiles. I know it seems counter-intuitive if you want the best output quality, and John is correct that other profiles (like your AdobeRGB) have wider gamuts useful for more color accurate work. But with color management what it is today across devices, compatibility has to be a top consideration and for that purpose, sRGB seems to work best even if it is not in fact the best possible. In my experience.

I hope that helps rather than muddies the waters, so to speak.

thanks

What version of Capture One are you using? I am on Windows.
This is C1 v21 (older than the current release) and I have ProPhoto RGB as an option (3 rows above my ticked one).
It is always good to stick to sRGB for web usage

1655723497204.png

Last edited:
Sorry MoonMind - I agree you should move it.

Interesting, I have the latest C1 and I do not have the ProPhoto profile as an option in either base characteristics or the export dropdowns. Maybe you have to have installed something that put the profile on your computer? I do not know.

Sorry MoonMind - I agree you should move it.

Interesting, I have the latest C1 and I do not have the ProPhoto profile as an option in either base characteristics or the export dropdowns. Maybe you have to have installed something that put the profile on your computer? I do not know.
That's interesting and weird... I have not installed any extras as far as output goes.

I have never used it (ProPhoto) - considering these comments, I should give it a try to see whether it makes a visible difference to the resulting look of the jpg.

As far as I remember, there's always been a large list of options in the drop down, without being able to memorise specifics though.

I have created various output recipes but for web usage they are always sRGB

Back