Compact 1" cameras

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Hi, how do you rate 1 inch cameras?

I'm looking for a small camera, such camera may do the job.
For example the Sony RX100, Panasonic TZ100 & TZ200.

Looking forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

Best regards, Herman

I've had a Canon G9X since new. It's incredible for a compact, really versatile, small, easy to carry.
I'd go so far as to say better than the Panasonic GX8 (similar nomenclature) at the time. Honestly.
But it doesn't compare to APS-C which is my now preferred balance of size and quality.
I like my G9X so much, but it's getting long in the tooth, that I'm seriously considering a G5X II for the EVF. And I'm sure that the Sony is even better if you can get your head around Sony's unique user interface.

I have had 4 RX100s over the years (2 Mk 1, a Mk 3 and a Mk 4). I actually think that the mk 1 was the best of the lot. Sony has added so many new functions and complexities that the camera has lost its charm for me. Of course it still produces really nice images (see @Nuskyn if you want proof) so it's a subjective thing.
I owned a Canon G5X and it was great for everything except close ups, where the lens showed serious distortion. Also autofocus was temperamental, now I think about it! But very nice ergonomics, an excellent EVF and touch screen.
I have been very tempted to try a TZ100 (the TZ200 has had some less than glowing reviews due to its slower lens) - the size seems just right for me, although the EVF is very much "when it's too bright to use the screen".

I havent gotten further than oogling the TZ100 and the LX15, but I do think I will pass them on. I am more than happy with the old LX7 and the LF1, and not to happy with the TZ70 so I am somewhat uncertain if they would fill some sort of niche, that is not already covered between the compacts and the compact M43s.

The more recent Sony 1" sensors have very good high ISO performance and DR, not all that far off the 20mp m4/3 sensors (the latter still have a DR advantage at base ISO but at higher ISOs the 1" sensors draw very close).

The lenses differ from camera to camera. Sony RX10 iii (and iv) has a stunning lens, really spectacular. Incredible range, very sharp (easy to make use of those 20mp sensors), fast enough for most situations, well stabilized, and great flare control. Near perfect lens if you ask me. But it's big, and somewhat prone to sucking in dust.

The SeaLife DC2000 has a tiny 30mm equivalent f/1.7 lens, that's sharp enough to make use of the sensor resolution and fast enough to allow fast shutter speeds underwater, and really quite decent bokeh. Just a shame that the camera itself is unusably slow in terms of buffering and processing raw shots.

If lens protrusion is a consideration, none really; only a few pancakes (olympus 14mm and a few mount cap type toy lenses) bring the overall package down to the size of an RX100, G7X, LX15 or TZ100. And that's if you go for the very smallest m4/3 bodies such as the Panasonic GX800, which due to their budget billing usually cut way back on their control options. The dedicated compacts usually have better controls than similarly sized ILCs.

Hi John, I got a Nikon 1 V1. Unforunately there's an issue while zooming the screen goes black.
Maybe a firmware update will fix it.
As to EVF, guess I need one, my Sigma DP camera still sleeps.

Can you deal with power zoom lenses? I STRONGLY dislike them. 🙃 And it's actually more the on/off which I tend to do in order to save power that bugs me more. The delay before it's ready to shoot.

But if you're ok with that, they are all pretty good. Money not an issue I'd probably go for RX100v, popup EVF and phase AF. I think the superzoom ones just seem like a dust vacuum.

But for me I'd spend the money on a Panasonic GM1 or GM5 and pair it with a Pan14 or Pan12-32. My next option would probably be a Nikon 1 J5 or V3.

If lens protrusion is a consideration, none really; only a few pancakes (olympus 14mm and a few mount cap type toy lenses) bring the overall package down to the size of an RX100, G7X, LX15 or TZ100. And that's if you go for the very smallest m4/3 bodies such as the Panasonic GX800, which due to their budget billing usually cut way back on their control options. The dedicated compacts usually have better controls than similarly sized ILCs.
My E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ + JJC auto-opening lens cap weighs about 360 grams, and will fit in a polo shirt pocket. Nice Sony 16 MPx sensor, no EVF (bugger) and IBIS which is nearly as bad as the IBIS in my E-1 - the E-1 doesn't have IBIS ...

Of course, it takes all my other FTs and mFTs lenses.

Back