Fuji Compact 50mm?

Fil

Hi all,

I'm after a compact setup for my xe1, using an old fast 50mm lens.
Budget is limited, not looking to go over $100 for the lens.

What lens and filter combination would give me the compact package I'm after?

Thanks!

It's not compact...maybe the size of the Fuji lenses, but the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 is one of my faves. Very slightly glowy shot wide open (but still sharp enough), and it gets deadly sharp when you stop down....also some lovely colors and solid contrast.

Usually if it's a good lens AND fast AND/OR compact, it's going to be more than $100

I don't own an XE1, so I dunno if my recommendations will play nice with it (but they do play nice with mirrorless FF cameras):
Jupiter 3 or Jupiter 8 both are 50mm, both are Russian copies of German design, one is f/1.5 and the other is f/2. Using the EVF, therefore LiveView will negate any focus shift issues. Though these lenses aren't clinically sharp (and you're not expecting that at your price point any way), but they they yield appealing results. You ought to be able to get each for well under $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Legacy Canon 50mm f1.4 FD, with adapter. Very inexpensive for a superb chunk of glass. Very smooth, very 'analog' feel to the lens. Can none the less be sharpened up nicely by f-stop-down, or wide open with masked sharpening in post.

I highly recommend for the APS-C X-Trans sensor, they are a superb team together. Very compact, as well.

8886402226_fe267e83b5_c.jpg

periwinkle, yellow, green, and 50mm @ f1.4 by cbmn, on Flickr

50mm Nikkor f:1.8 goes for well under 100 beer tokens, even allowing for buying an adapter. It's much smaller than my equivalent Takumar.

I have this lens and have been meaning to get an adapter. Thanks for the recommendation.

What adapter did you get?

50mm Nikkor f:1.8 goes for well under 100 beer tokens, even allowing for buying an adapter. It's much smaller than my equivalent Takumar.

I have this lens and have been meaning to get an adapter. Thanks for the recommendation.

What adapter did you get?

It's a no-name (probably Rainbowimaging) from Amazon. I use it for a number of lenses ranging from 24mm to 300mm. Spot on for depth (perfect infinity focus) and positive front and rear mounts, but maybe that was luck -- my Pentax adaptor from the same source is rubbish.

I find I use my adapted Nikon glass as much as my two Fujinons, although given the money I'd just buy a complete set of XF lenses.

Finally got a bargain on a minolta mc 50/1.4, on its way to me now.

Need to get an adapternow..
Had a look at rainbow imaging and fotodiox and all the stuff on ebay, prob all the same?

Are there better/worse adapters out there?

Thanks
Fil

It's amusing to see the recommendations, as I assume everyone is rooting for their previous (or maybe current) DSLR brand. Allow me to do the same! :D

I know you've already purchased one, but this might be useful to others: Look for Pentax-M lenses such as the 50mm f/2 (tiny!):

M50f2.jpg

...or the 50mm f/1.7 if you want a bit more speed (and it's the same size as the f/2!):

M50f1.7.jpg

You could buy BOTH for under $100, so just spring for the f/1.7.

For maximum speed, the 50mm f/1.4 is only just a bit taller and heavier, and still under $100:

M50f1.4.jpg

Pentax lenses have an advantage for us Fuji users: The focus ring turns in the same direction as the Fuji lenses. Some might not care, but having used manual focus lenses for some years I find that I don't want to have to stop and think which way I need to turn the ring in order to move the focus plane in the direction I want it to go, so I try to always acquire manual focus lenses that turn in the same direction. Nikon lenses also fulfil this requirement. Brands that focus in the opposite direction are Canon, Olympus, Minolta and Leica.

Short of a rangefinder lens, to my knowledge the smallest 50mm is the OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8. I have the f1.4 and even that is pretty compact.

The 50mm f1.8 can typically be found for less than $40 so it's well within your price range. I believe it's got 49mm filter threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short of a rangefinder lens, to my knowledge the smallest 50mm is the OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8. I have the f1.4 and even that is pretty compact.

The 50mm f1.8 can typically be found for less than $40 so it's well within your price range. I believe it's got 49mm filter threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just what I was gonna say.. Oly 50 1.4 & 1.8 are great with APS-C sensors... virtually any adapter works well.

I second the Zuikos. My copies - f1.4 as well as f1.8 are pretty comatose or 'dreamy' and soft wide open but I love the way they render once stopped down to f4 and beyond. My favorite of the Oly bunch is the latest production run of the f1.8 - see 'made in Japan' on the front ring. You can't go wrong with any of the Nikons either, the cheaper E-Series f1.8 is optically as good as the AiS and pretty compact. I used to shoot those more back in my film days though. Another really great fifty I own is the Konica Hexanon f1.7, I paid 5€ for my copy. I have some more in a box somewhere but my favorite 50mm is the Contax 45mm-f2 Planar for the Contax G series. Not a real 50 but incredibly sharp even wide open with great microcontrast and beautiful colors, a killer lens on my picky NEX-7. Not exactly cheap and over your planned budget but worth every single cent. Regarding adpters I had some bad luck with some el cheapos from China including a 'Fotga', I'd rather order them from a place with a decent return policy.

Back