Compact System Cameras

I've been using CSCs for something like 18 months now, starting with an Olympus E-P1 in the middle of 2010. In that time I've followed a lot of discussions, here and elsewhere, on the future of interchangeable lens cameras and the debate over whether CSCs can in fact replace the function of a DSLR.

If I was to nominate one area where I find dedicated DSLR users dismiss CSCs it is the lack of optical viewfinder. One mention of the freedom that the lack of being tied to an OVF brings in a DSLR friendly forum and it is immediately decried as a reason why someone shouldn't consider a CSC. I know, I've tried the exercise on numerous occasions! Personally, I'm over the OVF. It holds zero appeal to me and I don't see it as having a positive influence on my photography. It is something I tolerate when using a DSLR but not something I miss in the slightest when using a CSC.

The "Compact" in CSC is only one benefit of these systems. For mine the "EV" in EVIL is an equally big advantage.

I recently made a post after taking taking both a DSLR and my Micro 4/3 gear on holiday and I still can't think of a better way to describe my current thoughts towards DSLRs.

DSLRs are an anachronism. I can no longer find ANY reason why I need a mirror and an optical viewfinder in between me and the image.

That may come across as sounding harsh on DSLRs, but bear in mind that I still own three of the things and still use them regularly. However, I don't use them because they are a DSLR, I use them in spite of being a DSLR. I like them for what they produce if not how they force you to go about doing it. Personally in the longer term I see the days of the DSLR as being numbered, in the amateur market at least. That's just my opinion, of course. The question of whether a DSLR is or will continue to be necessary in the professional market is best left to the professionals to answer.

Momentum is a powerful thing, but last I heard there was no such thing as perpetual motion.

Back