Companies for printing

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
I have just made an account with Loxley Colour to see what the prints are like ( Loxley Colour) They came highly recommended by a photographer friend. They have some pretty classy looking options. They've also developed software to make the whole process quick and smooth. I shall report back my findings.

Who does everyone else use? Is there anyone you think is just duff? I had a photo printed by HP Snapfish in 2 different sizes and the sky was a different colour in each. Worrying!

So, I signed up and made an account last week then did nothing till last night when I downloaded the ROES software (Remote Order Editing Software). I had a few Mac type issues initially but the website very helpfully provided all the apple links to get the necessary updates to work, so it was pretty easy to sort out.
I realised pretty quickly that I'm going to need to watch the video tutorials to understand the software properly, which is fine - they are all on the website too and just a couple of minutes long. I was tired and it was waaaay past bedtime so I left it for another time.

Today at lunchtime I had a call from Loxley to check my registration had gone well and I had managed okay with the software. They checked I had my account number okay. They were REALLY helpful and offered to send me a brochure with all their products, and to talk me through the test prints. I get two sets of five 9x6 prints for free, one as it is uploaded, one colour corrected. I can get a variety of finishes. If there is a discrepancy between what I see and what they print then they have guys to help you calibrate the monitor. If we can't get it right then they can apply personalised colour correction across all my stuff.

How good is that!!
And they are a Scottish company. Check them out, Brits.

sounds like a quality operation! I'm not at a point in my life where I'm interested in printing yet, although I think I will be as soon as I get a place of my own... now I know what kind of service level is possible, so thanks for that! :)

Just ordered my first batch of test prints from Loxley Colour - 9x6 five as sent, duplicate set but colour corrected. Everything thus far has been magnificent. Check this out -
[video=youtube;vQJX2rdxxqo]

I use AdoramaPix and BayPhoto. May or may not be the best but they both have worked for me. I mount EVERYTHING and BayPhoto has a poly mounting system that is outstanding and tends to be flatter then the single weight board that is Adorama's cheapest option -- for about the same price.

I print a lot on metallics and if they ripple at all in the frame they look AWFUL -- hence mounting everything.

So here is a question I have, being in the US, I have used MPix and Bay Photo...both with good results, Bay offers a lot for options (like metal prints), but I like MPix's true B/W printing. However I am becoming convinced that I am losing something with a lab that only accepts jpeg files (as both of these do). Any labs in the US accept tiff files? Do you think it make a difference or am I just making myself crazy?

Kevin

what is it that convinces you of this?

I'd have to say that looking at a jpeg onscreen, even at 100%, I can still see som compression errors...I never see any with the same file saved as a tiff. I can see why a mass market lab would not want to deal with tiff, bigger files equal larger storage requirements and more...bandwidth, but I'm beginning to think you are losing something ( especially with large prints).

Back