Samsung Comparing Samsung NX210 with Sony NEX7

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
Previously on this site I compared the NEX7 with the Xpro 1. Now on my website I have compared the NX210 with the NEX7. If you are interested it can be found HERE. As in the previous comparison I just listed the strengths of the camera. The NEX 7 is a fine camera, but do not dismiss the NX 210. It has its own strengths by comparison.

ETulip2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50-200mm lens at 200mm, ISO100

Hi Armanius: They have improved the auto focus. It is quick with the pancake lenses, but a bit slow with the 50-200 zoom. They claim to have made some sensor improvements but I cannot tell. The sensor was good before and it still is. I have not done a head to head AF comparison between the two cameras. I believe both are faster than the Xpro, but that is not saying much. Both are slower than the D7000, but we all knew that. For my purposes both focus fast enough and accurate enough. With the pancake lenses, which are my main reason for liking the NX (in case you didn't notice) it is plenty fast. That OLED screen is really nice, and makes composing and judging focus easier.

Serious Compact for Action?

Ever since I began using SCs I have figured they were not the camera of choice of action. In many cases the focus is too slow and the shutter lag too long. Today I took my daughter to her tennis lesson and took along the NX210 with the 50-200 OIS lens. i took about 150 photos and almost all were in focus. Admittedly this is not fast football action or speed racing, but i was pleased with the camera's performance. For one thing the OLED screen worked well in the bright sunlight. But the biggest surprise was the shutter lag speed. It is fast enough for this type of action. I caught the ball in the frame many times over because of the quick response of the shutter. Since I did not expect this from a mirror-less compact, I am very pleased. As a user of the Xpro I am doubtful that it could have done as well. Here are a couple of examples from today's court action. Everything was shot on Aperture priority with the A wide open which turned out to be f4.0-5.0. I would like to try it again using Shutter priority.

KTennis4.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

KTennis.jpg

Back